Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Venture 17 restoration

Here are some of the pictures of my restoration project ( more like resurection), of my Venture 17 a couple of years ago.

link:IMGP0610 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You can click the icon for Venture resto if you don't want to see all my other stuff.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Wow, fabulous job it looks like to me Joe.

Was the bow that weak that it needed plywood reinforcing on both top and bottom?

What was the hardest part of the whole restoration?

Was it worth it, to you and your boys?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post

Was the bow that weak that it needed plywood reinforcing on both top and bottom?

Thanks,
I put more into it than it was worth as far as resale value, but it was a fun experience so it was worth it.
The bow was ugly on the topside is why I added the plywood on top. Plus it was a little bit weak under foot, or I would have used something thinner. It feels good and stout now, and I didn't add that much extra topside weight.
The hardest part was actually getting the keel out of the boat. It had swelled up inside the trunk because of salt water between the fiberglass and the steel bar. I had to cut it out with a sawzall, and hammer it with a sledge hammer.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 10-11-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2008

Quote:

Looks like a fun little boat you're working on too.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 10-11-2008
Montgomery 17

Thank you, I hope it turns out as well as yours did. How long did you work on yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-11-2008

Quote:
Thank you, I hope it turns out as well as yours did. How long did you work on yours?
Well the original project, which was pretty much everything, amazingly was done in 4 months. There were several factors involved for the speed. I was really excited to do something new, I wanted a boat real bad, I didn't have any other projects at the time, and I new that if I let it go too long I might never finish it.
I did have to rebuild the keel a second time, because the first time I used polyester resin instead of epoxy. I found out the hard way that polyester resin only sticks to itself.
Live and learn, thats what it's all about.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 10-11-2008
Montgomery 17

Wow, 4 months isnt to bad. I believe I am aiming for about the same. Mine is primarily to fix up and sell but also to learn. If I have it done by the beginning of the summer I will be fine because that should be the best time to sell.

By the way, what made you want to seperate the hull form the deck?

Old 10-12-2008

The boat had been full of rainwater and all of the wood inside was rotten. I didn't feel like I could do the job right without better access to all the interior space.
I wouldn't try that on a bigger boat, but for this one, I'm glad I did. I would never had been able to reach some of the areas to clean and paint otherwise. Also, I couldn't patch the underside of the deck the way I wanted to if I had tried to do it inside the boat working over my head. Gravity is a big help when working with epoxy

Like you I wanted the learning experience, and I definitely got that. Some stuff I did wrong out of ignorance and had to do over, and there are still some things I'm gonna change, but overall I got pretty lucky for a first time boat resurrector.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-13-2009

KoleDeRacer is on a distinguished road
High how is it going awesome looking boat.

Anyway i am about to buy a v17 and it need to be refinished and all the hardwear has been taken off so i am not sure where it goes but it is all there.
I was wondering if you have some info/pics that would help me with where everything goes?
Also what did you refinish it with?
Old 02-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleDeRacer View Post
High how is it going awesome looking boat.

Anyway i am about to buy a v17 and it need to be refinished and all the hardwear has been taken off so i am not sure where it goes but it is all there.
I was wondering if you have some info/pics that would help me with where everything goes?
Also what did you refinish it with?
Thanks. Look at all my pictures on the largest size and you should be able to see where my stuff is mounted. I really don't know where the hardware was originally, as mine was such a wreck when I started. Where I have it works well for me though. If you need more pictures, let me know. I think I've got some that show where everything is. If not I can draw it out for you and email it to you.
As far as the finish ( if you mean the paint ) , you may think I'm crazy, but so far it has been an excellent choice. I used Valspar, Acrylic Latex.
I originally bought some very expensive boat paint ( the bottom blue is still painted with that). It was $69 per gallon. After only one year it was mildewed, and looked horrible. I started researching online. I found a great website that had a lot of useful info. He was saying how large the house paint market is and how much research goes into that type of paint. Also the adhesion properties of latex verses oil base are better. Here's the link -

Boat Repair Hindsight - Tips, Tricks, Rules of Thumb.

After much hesitation and fretting ( what if he's wrong, I'll have to do it over again ), I went for it. I looked for the best acrylic latex I could find. I can tell you. My boat looks as good today as it did a year ago. There are no signs at all of wear or mildew or anything. It has also held up very well to abrasion. I have hit the side of the dock pretty hard a couple of times with no damage to the paint. I'll never use the pricey stuff again.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !