Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009

imzens is on a distinguished road
Stuck Daggerboard

Success!!! Went to Ace Hardware and purchased a piece of flat steel about 7 feet long and 3/4 inches wide. We could see the the stuck piece toward the front of the daggerboard. Don laid under the boat and directed as I placed the steel down the side of the daggerboard on the offending piece and kept hammering until it finally dropped out the bottom. Took about 1/2 hour and cost $8 so we're in the business of sailing again.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2009

RStocker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imzens View Post
Success!!! Went to Ace Hardware and purchased a piece of flat steel about 7 feet long and 3/4 inches wide. We could see the the stuck piece toward the front of the daggerboard. Don laid under the boat and directed as I placed the steel down the side of the daggerboard on the offending piece and kept hammering until it finally dropped out the bottom. Took about 1/2 hour and cost $8 so we're in the business of sailing again.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Hope you did not hurt the center board. I would have put pressure and leverage on the board and pushed it up and out. Never hammer. Where on lake MI are you. I lived in Berrien Springs in MI 12 miles form the lake. Glad to be in California.
Old 04-06-2009

Smile More 'splaining about the stuck centerboard

RStocker - - -

I'm not from Michigan... that was one of the members trying to give me some help. I'm in Southern California. Where in California are you?

I didn't explain the hammering process quite right.

I didn't hammer on the center board, I hammered on the piece of metal that we had slid down between the side of the opening and the board. I placed the metal on the offending bolt. I "hammered" with a rubber mallet for a while and then used the side of a crescent wrench. (Didn't have a hammer on board.) The piece of metal from Ace hardware kept slipping off but eventually (took almost an hour) the bolt fell out the bottom.
Old 04-07-2009

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
Ahhh, you used that trusy "sailor's friend" the Cresent Hammer

I've heard, that they can also be used to turn nuts, but that may only be a myth.

In any case glad to hear it came out for you, now get ready to enjoy another season of sailing, if this winter will every go away!!

Ed Warren.
Old 04-08-2009

Smile

We haven't sailed Fair Dinkum III this winter due to the little centerboard problem but we are flying to the British Virgin Islands this Friday for a bare boat vacation for a week.

Can't wait to get there. We've chartered a 51.5 monohull sailboat. There will be 7 of us. We did a similar trip last year at this time and loved it.

I do hope the weather is good when we get back so we can start sailing around Southern California.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.