SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

porta potty vs marine head

20K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Roberthussey 
#1 ·
A newbie question.
Seems like most of macgreggors come with porta potty. Is it possible to switch to a pump out type marine head? Do people do conversion themselves?
Is there like a kit you can use to do that.
If anybody can explain to me what is involved and what would be approximate cost?
I'm looking into different boats right now and I just want to make sure that the boat has pump out marine head type instead of porta potty. That way I do not have to run to the marina bathroom every time. Seems like most people recommend not using porta potties.
Thanks

#4 ·
portapotty vs marine head

I have a portapotty and it has a deck pump out on it. It was a kit supplied by the manufacturer. Most offer at least the hose connections for the conversion. It only requires the through deck fitting a couple of feet of proper hose, a vent and another small piece of hose and a few clamps about $60. In fact in the Great LAkes in Canada (and many other places) you have to have a deck pump out on any head including a porta potty. It is an inexpensive conversion. We have use it for over a week at a time before having it pumped out (2 adults), I think it has the large tank, 6 us gallons. I was going to change it out when we bought the boat but it has worked so well I decided to keep it. The boat never has any odour inside, even when it is closed up for a week in July, I can not say the same for most other boats I have been on that have a marine head. We have been using it for 5 years now. It has a few advantages, it can not get plugged up and need to be "serviced by the skipper" not a pleasant job. It will never sink your boat, many boats have been sunk by the marine head malfunctioning. Also it does not have a large holding tank taking up storage space.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.