Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
You really don't want to be here....it's cold and snowy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2009
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Still here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imzens View Post
It appears no one has any more sailing questions or experiences to share on this forum. Could I be wrong?
I think we get tired of all the non-MacGregor owners that feel the need to bash us and our boats. There are other MacGregor freindly boards out there.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Old 12-06-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
True

Sad but true. There is a wealth of information on this board but a few feel compelled to run down the Macgregors.

Even the earlier classics were ridiculed by competitors years ago because of their cost. It's the typical sales tactic to run down your competition, even if much of it is untrue. Macgregor has done good over the years, in a declining market. I have to laugh because I see a lot more of other brands (even expensive ones) that have had known structural issues. The only serious accident that most of these "experts" can point to, was a tragic death which was caused by the serious overloading of an X model in which the operator had neglected to fill the ballast tank. If the captain of a large tanker had made the same mistake and caused an accident, I doubt the shipyard or designer would have been blamed.

With the advent of the X & M models more critics have appeared because these models are not your typical sailboat designs. They are a "dual purpose" design. Like all dual purpose designs they are a compromise. There are better sailing craft and motoring craft out there but they do a fairly good job of both. I have never sailed one myself, haven't had an opportunity. To be honest, the motoring aspect doesn't appeal to my wants but for many people they are a good answer to their needs / wants. Roger Macgregor decided that this was a niche/expanding market that showed a need to be filled.

Every board has it's own "flavor." Some are more trailer oriented and as such they are more open to the boats that we own. This board on the other hand has more types of boats listed, many of them larger / bluewater capable. Some of these owners seem to be highly opinionated. It's unfortunate because then, I tend to turn a deaf ear to those individuals, even though they possess a wealth of good information.

It would be nice if people had a bit more of an open mind to other people's choices. I think this method of communication, gives people a bit of anonymity and because of this, we tend to be a bit more direct - "rude" at times in expressing ourselves. Of course there are plenty of aholes in the "real" world too. I admit I have taken the same attitude, at times, towards a certain brands of motorcycles myself since I was in that field for over thirty years. I have tried to be more open minded but at times it can be hard.
I may be mistaken but it seems some others may have become a bit more tolerant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
I think we get tired of all the non-MacGregor owners that feel the need to bash us and our boats. There are other MacGregor freindly boards out there.
Old 12-06-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I'm here, but I won't be in a minute.
Old 12-06-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I loved my Mac....and I care not for but a few Irwin's either...But I could care less what you think of my current boat ...I think its the best one for us right now...Time may or may not change that attitude.

Bashing goes on...ignore it and jump in the fray..everyone has value to some extent rather your boat does to someone else is irelivent.....Thanks for being here!

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 12-06-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
You really don't want to be here....it's cold and snowy.
No kidding.... Can't wait for May 2010.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 12-07-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I was here, but nothing was happening, so I am going to anythingsailing.com

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
You gotta fight for your right to Mac it!

Like Still said, who cares if some forum dudes trash a boat type? If it works for you...cool.

PS - blu, do you have a Mac or something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
well kinda, I got an Imac.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 12-08-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
I have an iPhone?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain