SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   MacGregor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/macgregor/)
-   -   Buying a used Mac (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/macgregor/64315-buying-used-mac.html)

BuccaneerBenn 04-29-2010 06:20 PM

Buying a used Mac
 
I'm contemplating buying a Mac 26X or 26M. What kind of things should one pay attention to in checking out the boat before buying (yeah, I know waht some of you will say..."make sure it's not a MacGregor" :-).

MSN2Travelers 04-29-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuccaneerBenn (Post 599107)
I'm contemplating buying a Mac 26X or 26M. What kind of things should one pay attention to in checking out the boat before buying (yeah, I know waht some of you will say..."make sure it's not a MacGregor" :-).

Can't speak for the 26X as I own a 2006 26M ...

This boat is so basic, so simple, that there really isn't a whole lot to look for.

I'm in my 4th season and can tell you that the only weak area, for me, has been the dagger board. Pull the board and check the condition of the leading/trailing edge. Check the rudders for signs of cracking below the mounting point. I believe early M models had aluminum rudder brackets vs. the current stainless. I understand they had a habit of breaking.

Otherwise, look for the usual water leak sites: Chain plates, hose connections for the anchor locker drain and sink drain. Check the hull for signs of grounding and/or blistering. The boat is designed as a trailerable but some owners leave their boats in the water for extended periods without applying a barrier coat.

The real money is in the OB motor, the sails and any electronics that may have been added.

The MacGregor is a versatile, multi-purpose boat. Most "sailors" don't care for it but it does fill a nitch.

It heels quickly to 20 degrees before it hardens up and that makes some people uncomfortable (read my wife). :rolleyes: We sail Lake Michigan most of the time and the Admiral says we need a bigger boat :D before she will head out too far on the lake or try week long trip.

Check out this site for a very active 26X/26M community. MacGregorSailors.com

Mine is for sail (sale) if you're interested.

TurAelin 06-11-2010 09:12 AM

May one inquire... is Una Mas still for sale?

MSN2Travelers 06-11-2010 10:49 AM

For sail ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurAelin (Post 611992)
May one inquire... is Una Mas still for sale?

Yes, I have responded to your PM.

dlandersson 09-21-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers (Post 612038)
Yes, I have responded to your PM.

Still for sale?

UncleJim 09-24-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers (Post 599167)
It heels quickly to 20 degrees before it hardens up and that makes some people uncomfortable (read my wife). :rolleyes: We sail Lake Michigan most of the time and the Admiral says we need a bigger boat :D before she will head out too far on the lake or try week long trip.

Check out this site for a very active 26X/26M community. MacGregorSailors.com

Funny, my wife said the same thing about our 02X. still haven't decided to sell or not, may wait till spring.

EdWarren 09-25-2010 05:21 AM

Want to SAIL, take a look at the Mac 26s (sailboat, with swing centerboard). Mine is a 1992 and I have sailed it on a large number of midwest lakes and have not found a better boat for the purpose, the swing centerboard has saved my A** seveal times when the depth of water does not match the depth of the boat :). With respect to the 26M/x, they are of necissity a comprimise and the big engine adds to the expense. Since I love to sail.. I only use the engine to get into and out of the slip, so my little 9.9 4 stroker is more than I need.

dlandersson 09-25-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJim (Post 647806)
Funny, my wife said the same thing about our 02X. still haven't decided to sell or not, may wait till spring.

I am in the market for a 26X - live on Lake Michigan's Indiana shore.

Also, any input re: local yacht club and the Michigan City coast guard auxiliary (they are trying to recruit me) are welcome. :)

deniseO30 09-25-2010 01:53 PM

There's one at my YC .. hasn't been in the water in 5 - 7 yrs from what I've been told. Shame. cool looking boat. Twin rudders, BIG out board. water ballast model I believe.

UncleJim 09-25-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 647932)
There's one at my YC .. hasn't been in the water in 5 - 7 yrs from what I've been told. Shame. cool looking boat. Twin rudders, BIG out board. water ballast model I believe.

There are many boats of every type that sit for extended periods without being dropped in the water or taken out of the slip. It is a shame. Mac's are a cool little boat imho, will do a little bit of everything.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012