Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Question Mac 21 Mainsail and Boom

My friend just bought a Mac 21 a few weeks ago. I am unfamiliar with this boat and have some questions I am hoping someone here can help answer. One thing I am not understanding is, I am used to boats with a topping lift, his don't have one. Now, when I put the mainsail up on his boat the boom just kind of lays down in the cockpit. I was first wondering if his mainsail was too big but I don't think so. I do know on my Oday, when I put my mainsail up it holds the boom up regardless of the wind and it stays up and don't just lay down in the way.

Is this how it is supposed to be on the Mac 21? The boom just seems to be in the way, especially when not much wind around. Is the boom supposed to lift up out the cockpit when the wind picks up? Another question I am wondering, is it possible to run the mainsheet with just a single block attached to the boom? I seen in Mac 21 manuals around on the net, it refers to a double block on the boom end and shows the sheet rigged as so. This boat is simple but has left me with a few questions I am hoping can be answered so I can better help my friend on what he needs if anything.

Last edited by sailguy40; 01-30-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011

sophie14 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up topping lift

it sounds like your main is too long on the luff or is stretched out badly. does it raise all the way up? the topping lift should always be released when you're sailing, and tensioned when main is lowered. skipperkey
Old 03-08-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
I have tested it out a bit more since I posted this thread but still have not confirmed what the deal is here. We did not have much wind when we last took it out so I can't tell if it will sail ok with it or not. What has me confused is the sail is indeed raised up fully. Its like the leech is too long or something because that boom lays down in the cockpit even when the sail is fully hoisted. I am aware the topping lift should be released while sailing, when his sail is down the boom just lays in the cockpit. This is something I am not used to and it seems kind of in the way like this. He could always add a topping lift I suppose, seems to be a must to keep the cockpit from being crowded. I am beginning to think the sail is simply not designed for this boat, even though it can be sailed with it. He has another main that is torn at the bottom, I guess we will try that one out when he repairs it. Hopefully next time we go out, we will have some decent wind to really test things out. Anyway, just minor things that I am sure I will figure out before long.
Old 03-09-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
You shouldn't need any wind to keep the boom out of the cockpit. Is the boom just low, or is it actually interfering with stuff in the cockpit? The boom should be close to horizontal.
Old 03-12-2011

timebandit is on a distinguished road
You might try posting your problems here
MacgregorOwners.com - Home

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 03-14-2011

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Ok, here you go---

If the main is truly pulled to the top of the mast NOT just pulled tight and there is no sliding goose neck the problem is with the sail.

However if the sail is pulled up tight but the head board is not all the way to the stop it is probably that the bolt rope has shrunk.

Mac's use a pigtail on the back stay to attach the boom to instead of a topping lift.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.