SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   MacGregor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/macgregor/)
-   -   1973 Venture 2-22 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/macgregor/77883-1973-venture-2-22-a.html)

voltzwgn 08-24-2011 12:32 AM

1973 Venture 2-22

Good Morning,

This weekend I became a new sailboat owner, of an old sailboat. I picked up a 1973 Venture 2-22 for a low price that comes with "some work" as the previous owner said it. Actually it's cleaning up really well but will still take a lot of work as it was sitting for years. At this time my biggest challenges look to be the lack of a tiller/rudder and the winch for the keel. If anyone has an old tiller/rudder let me know i'd love to find one for sale rather than make my own but will make one if it comes down to it. As for the winch it's pretty rusted so at this time I guess I'll get it off the boat and get it up on a bench where i can evaluate it better. But in case it needs replacing if anyone has one available i may be in the market.

From what I can see there a ton of info out here thanks for sharing I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as time goes on. we're in the process of stripping everything out of the inside but would like to put her in the water just to take a run before we get into building it back up.

thanks again... jim

lillia28 09-26-2011 09:32 AM

I had a 76 Mac 2-22 until a couple of years ago. The keel winch is a stock item. Check Northern tool or Harbor freight. Make sure you get the self braking model, I think about $75.00. Check Idasailor for the rudder. IMHO, the biggest issue with Macgregors is that the foils are not well shaped. My original teak (?) rudder rotted and broke. I replaced it with a blade from Idasailor, and it made a huge difference. If you can, fair the swing keel. I never did mine, but I think it will make a big difference. Blue Water Yachts sells parts for older Macgregors, and I got a lot of kits from Catalina direct, which were designed for Catalina 22s, but fit easily with minor adjustments. Other being a satisfied customer, I have no relationship with any of those folks, but they helped me a lot with my boat. Good luck, and sail a lot. I had my 2-22 for 10 years, and found the best "upgrade" was more time sailing, you learn a lot, and have fun!
Lou
Mariner 28
Fair Haven, NJ

DRFerron 09-26-2011 09:41 AM

Congratulations and welcome to Sailnet.

My first boat was a 1972 Venture 2-22 and I bought it as a project boat. The winch is sold by Northern Tool. I replaced mine with the one found here and it worked perfectly. It wasn't too expensive.

I made a new rudder out of mahogany using the old rudder as a template. Sure the mahogany was overkill, but once varnished it added a nice touch to an otherwise no-frills boat. You can buy a light-weight factory made rudder, too, as has been mentioned.

Good luck!