Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
Flying Lateen on a Mac 26S, anyone investigated?

I am considering retrofitting my 26s with a "Flying Lateen" (The Flying Lateen: The revolutionary way to sail ). I am interested in any other Mac Owners that may have considered this rig and why you have chosen it or rejected it.

Ed Warren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
That rig really does not make a lot of sense for a boat like the Mac 26s. When you look at how that rig works, you would want to engineer the boat for that rig from scratch rather than add it after the fact, since, the tripod puts a lot of compression at the rail and stem, which normally only deal with tension, and a huge amount of tension, somewhere forward of the normal mast step, where the boat normally deals with compression.

While there are some theoretical advantages to Lateen sails for reaching, as you might do on the Nile, and the Lateen was one of the first western rigs which could go to windward, they offer few, if any real advantages over your existing rig.

There is a lot of weight and windage to combination of the tripod and with yard (the traditional name for what the call a luff spar) raised. This woud limit your ability to go to windward and would mean more heeling. That kind of windage forward means that the boat would be more likely to kite around on the anchor, heel at the dock and generally behave badly with the sails down. You might be able to lower the yard, but raising and lowering the yard in a breeze would be trickly as you would have this uncontrolled spar whipping back and forth.

Another issue that is true of most lateen rigs is that they do not go to weather well unless you can control the leech of the sail. (more below) In this case, trying to control leech tension would place a huge bending load on the boom, but at least in the prototype the boom does not appear to be shaped for that kind of bending loads. Running and jibing you would have to be careful not to damage the yard and boom on the tripod.

On a lateen rig, in heavy air the leech needs to be controlled in order to go to windward or reduce heeling. In small boats, the sheet creates the necessary tension when beating by working against the halyard. But in smaller boats, since there is no way to control twist when close or beam reaching all you can do is end up hiking hard. That is not a great strategy for a small cruising boat. But with the absense of a vang, it is not clear how you would control the leech. If the deck swivel is adjustible (like a vang) and the boom were stiff enough, it might be possible to play the deck swivel tension and control leech tension. But as mentioned above, looking at the photo's, the boom does not appear to stout enough to act in that manner. The long yard would also make luff tension difficult to maintain as flexure would ease the halyard. A loose luff would allow the camber to move aft in the sail.

I understand that the flying lateen is intended to have in-spar furling, but looking at the rig proportions, it does not appear that it could be reefed in a manner which would result in a good heavy air sail shape and allow proper balance. In conventional sloop rig, you start by reefing the mainsail which helps control weather helm, but at some point you need to also reduce the jib size which keeps the boat balanced. With the rig, as you reef the center of effort is moving forward with no way to keep in in balance. Without being able to move the center of effort aft, the boat is highly likely to develop a lee-helm, which is very dangerous in gusty conditions.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 01-31-2012

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
Jeff, thanks for your thoughts

Ed Warrem
Old 07-26-2012

RonRock is on a distinguished road
Re: Flying Lateen on a Mac 26S, anyone investigated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWarren View Post
I am considering retrofitting my 26s with a "Flying Lateen" (The Flying Lateen: The revolutionary way to sail ). I am interested in any other Mac Owners that may have considered this rig and why you have chosen it or rejected it.

Ed Warren.

Hi Ed, I'm a little late to the party, and off topic I know.

Need to get my post count up.

Are you still sailing near Omaha? I'm in Council Bluffs, IA. Just looking for a local.

Ron

Tags
flying lateen , mac 26s

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.