Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012

irishcelt is on a distinguished road
Need new center board

My mcgregor 26 was mangled in a bad storm. As a result the centerboard has a 4x6 gap with rotting wood. Any help on getting a replacement and how to raise the boat would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2012

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
Re: Need new center board

From the post sounds like your most important issue is how to raise the boat, then how to replace the centerboard. What 'version of Mac 26 are you working with? How does she lie now, water depth, access to the ramp, ????. Provide more details and then perhaps we can be more helpful.
Old 07-20-2012

irishcelt is on a distinguished road

This is a 26' water ballast 1993 model. She sits in the trailer which is temporarily not movable in my yard. I was looking for a way to jack the hull off the trailer to work on the centerboard below the hull. The centerboard needs to be rebuilt or replaced and new cable placed into the guides for tracking into the inside of the boat. Best way to get the old board out and new or rebuilt one inserted?

I will have to get a trailer hitch for my van and a new tire for the trailer before I can transport her to water which is only 1.5 miles away.
Old 07-20-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

You should be able to jack up the trailer with the boat on it with an automobile jack. Then you can replace the flat trailer tire (trailer tires are not the same as car tires BTW).
Once you get a towing hitch you could then take your M26 to the water and work on the center board with the boat in shallow water. This should be a lot easier then jacking the boat up on land.
To jack the boat up on land you would need at least 4 jack stands to aid in the process. You'd also need a pile of small pieces of lumber to build up support directly on the bottom of the boat as it gets raised by the jack stands/jack.
In either case you need to make sure that the water ballast chamber is empty.

If your M26 is from 1993 then it is most likely an "S" model.
MACGREGOR 26S sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road

Here is a link on the centerboard:

Macgregor 26S Outside page 40
Macgregor 26S Outside Mods page 3

This is a 1990 model. Macgregor did make a change in the way the centerboard is mounted later. Your mounting bolts may be in the inside under the sink but these pictures may help anyway.

You can lower the front of the trailer as far as possible with the wheel crank, block the stern (with something solid - that won't move), then raise the front all the way back up. This will give you some room. (I then suspended my '91 with an engine hoist & pulled the trailer out - can be very dangerous if not done properly.)

Last edited by mdbee; 07-21-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2012

First you need a new centerboard. I got mine for my 1992 Mac 26 from a shop in Idaho ( but I don't think they make them any more). Then you need to determine which centerboard mounting Mac used there are two, one inside one outside. Mine was the outside version. If outside you will need a "Bent Wrench" to be able to reach the nut on the bolt that holds the centerboard. I will have to check on the size and specifics, but trust me you cannot do it without it. Then to getting the damned thing out. I used a cradle arrangement. I lowered the bow as far as I could, this raised the stern. Then I bulit two cinder block stacks either side of the stern. Purchased a 6x6 long enough to span the distance. And built up a 'cradle' on the 6x6 to match the shape of the stern. Then back to the bow, I jacked it up, placed a stack of cinder blocks with a wooden block as padding on the bow. This arrangement allowed me to move the trailer just far enough to slip the centerborad down low enough to pull it out forward, then slide the new board into place and bolt it in, then reverse everything. If you want to try this approach, then post here and I will see if I can find my pictures and provide more details.
Old 07-22-2012

mdBee has provided great details about the tools required for replacement of the centerboard with an outside mount (like mine), guess that is the first question Innie or Outie to determine the next step, how best to remove,replace the centerboard.