Join Date: Jul 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.
I am looking for my first sailboat (to buy it) and found one that could fit my needs and my budget but since I'm new to sailing I am looking for some advice.
I have a very specific need/want that I expect to find in a boat so because of that I know that it will not be a easy task to find the “right one” but I am sure that trying to gather as much information and suggestions as possible from more "experienced" boat owners/sailors before making a decision will be the best way to go.
I found a MacGregor 36 with an outboard 25hp engine for sale near where I am and it seems to fit my “profile”, but I would appreciate all opinions, especially from MacGregor owners.
Here is what I am looking for:
1) An “easy to handle” cat, that I can go “island hopping” and freediving (diving without tanks) for 3 or 4 days each time.
2) The combination of sailing/motoring is not a problem, actually it is a “plus”;
3) An average “cruising” speed of around 8 – 10 knots;
4) Need a boat to go over shallow reef (Carefully not to damage it, of course);
5) During the day, moving from one dive site to another motoring will be the case;
6) “Deck space” is the most important as I will spend most of the time there; large trampoline area is a big “plus”;
Now the most “challenging” part:
7) I need to be able to fit 3 or4 people for overnight staying – 2 or 3 nights at a time (not looking for any luxury, but minimal comfort to be able to have a good sleep at night), have a place to prepare meals and a head.
What do you think? It is possible to “convert” a MacGregor 36 to be more a small “cruising” cat and not some much a fast-racing boat?
Apparently some of you own MacGregors and seem interested in sharing your knowledge/experience here in the forum, so I would like to ask if you could help me with links, general information, opinion, experience or any other advise you can give me. All help is appreciated for sure.
Thanks so much for all your help and hope to hear back from you soon.