Go Back   SailNet Community > Videos > Maintenance/How-to Videos
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Movie Making: software to fliming

OK you guys....

All the funny business aside, all of ya'll help me with something. The wife has an i-phone, we have a digital camera and getting a GoPro, have an iMac and want to "produce" some of our own experiences for the scrap book and to share (video). This is the big mystry to me. Is there a publication that teaches you how to edit, add music etc.? What kind of software/program might I need?

By the way... I watch everyone's stuff. Honestly, I get "lost" in fantasy watching most everyone's videos. Thank you!

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2015

gbgreen59 is on a distinguished road
Re: Our first good video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
OK you guys....

Is there a publication that teaches you how to edit, add music etc.? What kind of software/program might I need?

Dave
I use Pinnacle Studio for video editing and StudioOne for audio recording. It took a while to get proficient at PinnacleStudio, but I like it a lot. Also, GoPro has a free application called Cineform that works well. I used PinnacleStudio for the Video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMc6iC9hdI

On the video below, I recorded video with the GoPro and simultaneously recorded audio with StudioOne. Then the video and audio were combined and sync'd using Pinnacle Studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSd6kIqExUQ

Last edited by gbgreen59; 02-25-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2015

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
I use Pinnacle Studio for video editing and StudioOne for audio recording. It took a while to get proficient at PinnacleStudio, but I like it a lot. Also, GoPro has a free application called Cineform that works well. I used StudioOne for the Video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMc6iC9hdI

On the video below, I recorded video with the GoPro and simultaneously recorded audio with StudioOne. Then the video and audio were combined and sync'd using Pinnacle Studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSd6kIqExUQ
Most excellent guitar work my man! (Surfing wasn't too shabby either). Thanks!
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 02-25-2015

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OK you guys....

All the funny business aside, all of ya'll help me with something. The wife has an i-phone, we have a digital camera and getting a GoPro, have an iMac and want to "produce" some of our own experiences for the scrap book and to share (video). This is the big mystry to me. Is there a publication that teaches you how to edit, add music etc.? What kind of software/program might I need?

By the way... I watch everyone's stuff. Honestly, I get "lost" in fantasy watching most everyone's videos. Thank you!

Dave
Dave_E,

FIRST, look for the free apps that you can find for editing. Start that way and get to know the process. Then, you can look for a program with more power and better options during editing. We have found that most of the programs work in a similar way, so your learning time is not wasted with the free stuff. Also, you can better understand how you like to work with the program.

Do you subscribe to Good Old Boat magazine? If so, take a look in the history file for our name as author. They published an article we did on just the subject of getting started editing video. I think it was back in 2008 and called something like, "Cruising with a camera". It's old stuff now, but the basics are the same today.

GO FOR IT! I know a few times other cruisers/people gave me the razz as "not living the moment" because I had an eye in the camera.

I tell them I keep BOTH my eyes open and do NOT miss the moment!

We just watched one of our videos that we produced way back when. It brought back all kinds of GREAT memories that would have been lost had we not recorded them on video!!!! Even if they we in standard definition. NO such thing as HD hen we started.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2015
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The wife has an i-phone, we have a digital camera and getting a GoPro, have an iMac and want to "produce" some of our own experiences for the scrap book and to share (video). This is the big mystry to me. Is there a publication that teaches you how to edit, add music etc.? What kind of software/program might I need?
Dave - Between the iPhone, GoPro and Mac you've got all you need to make quality scrap book/sharing vids. Do you have the native iMovie app loaded on the Mac or iPhone? It's a bit wonky and takes some fiddling around with to learn it completely, but all the tools are there to make a really nice video.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwaltersmi For This Useful Post:
Dave_E (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OK you guys....

Dave
I learned by doing... but I had some film editing background

minus : I have felt that Apple (all software companies) keeps trying to make things easier for the user, that they make things almost un-usualbe

Plus : most things will be right there for you on the iMac. The music will be part of your iTunes (all the music there will be available). I see Vega uses incompetech.com some nice background music there and you don't have to 'steal' it. Sometimes you will have a song in your video, you upload it and you get Youtube not letting you use it..

The key I would say to starting -- real simple.

1) your first book, simple.. no complex things... just how to start and finish
2) first video the same. Make one that is about one minute long with credits and two or three edits. One of the reasons for this everything will be smoother

I just made a quick one to show, but it will take 30 minutes to upload with my DSL connection (longer than it took to make) == http://youtu.be/8-6nh9qswVA

Edit: The thing I dislike about iMovie the most is it is one of those automatically saving program. You can save Version 1, make changes and then save Version 2.. and go with the one you like the best. I have used Final Cut, but I sometimes think that companies make their cheaper program too simple so you opt for the more expensive version
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 02-25-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2015

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OK you guys....
The wife has an i-phone, we have a digital camera and getting a GoPro, have an iMac and want to "produce" some of our own experiences for the scrap book and to share (video). This is the big mystry to me. Is there a publication that teaches you how to edit, add music etc.? What kind of software/program might I need?

Dave
Dave- As the previous poster mentioned, your iMac comes with iMovie, which is meant for beginners. Importing from your other peripherals might be the biggest headache and it is limited when it comes to effects. BUT- if you use Gopro Studio (also free with the camera), you can import the Gopro stuff, as well as any iPhone or other peripheral captures right into it. It has a handy dandy template with which to practice technique. Here is the first one I made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaL0BTODkeA
Once you are comfortable with editing in the timeline, you can begin to use the advanced tools, like slo-mo ramping and resizing.
This takes time, but is very rewarding.
Oh, and one more thing- create a youtube channel for easy sharing. Then show everyone here at SN so you can be criticized. Do not monetize your channel, though. UPac is correct about getting banned.
Dave_E likes this.
Old 02-25-2015
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-topic/189113-movie-making-software-fliming.html

Quote:
OK you guys....

Dave
Seems to me that most people use Sony Vegas software [ edit: The new entry level editing software is called Movie Studio. You can DL a free trial version HERE ]. Do the tutorial, practice a little and Bob's your uncle.

Last edited by vega1860; 02-25-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: update name and include link
Old 02-25-2015
That Drunk Guy

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

Final Cut Pro is another option for Macs. But this discussion is a serious "thread high-jack." Maybe start a new one???
Old 02-25-2015
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Seems to me that most people use Sony Vegas software. Do the tutorial, practice a little and Bob's your uncle.
Sony Vegas appears to be a PC program... I think he has an iMac

looks like Final Cut would be cheaper than Vegas

Vector X Y

Tags
cameras , computers , editing , movie making , software

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.