SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fiberglass filler in mast section for strength

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
My gooseneck groove has seen the ravages of time. It's tore out in a two inch section where the sail was most set up, pulling out the spar extrusion a bit, thus widening the groove. I don't like hammering back as that would remove the temper and the whole mast would have a weak section. The whole length is 10 inches.

I am going to insert a slotted square 6061 aluminum section, and to help get it in, I'm going to cut the spar grooves down 1/4 inch. The bottom section where the cut stops may be a weak point for the whole spar and bending forces may cave it in. So I wonder if there is any real concern here, as the guy wires form the strength.

But my question is, can I fill this section of spar with FG fill and the pipe section(outlined in green) to make up for the loss strength to this section. The fill area will be about 6inches deep. The last concern is does the FG impart some corrosion factors being right up against the aluminum and in a closed humid area?

I haven't started working on it yet so I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that's a non-starter.. That big a glob of catalyzed filler is going to get really hot.. how would you a) get it in there and b)keep it in place?

Probably not necessary anyhow.. if you're worried about it make your insert channel longer and span the entire damaged area plus some more..

#4 ·
That's a good idea. All i would need to do is remove the mast cap by drilling out the two rivets. The thing is there is one cleat and pulley(downhaul?) that has rivets protruding on the inside of the mast.
I could remove these and re-rivet when I'm done.

I've never sailed this boat nor have I experience rigging it. I'll be laying the mast and mainsail on the lawn the first sunny day I get. Not the best way, but it will show me the positioning of the gooseneck and my options better.

#7 ·
If it was my mast, I'd get it to a spar professional and have them do what they felt was the proper job.
I'd think there would be nothing worse than being out sailing and wondering if my MacGyvered mast repair was going to survive a bit of unforecast boisterous weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.