SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Mariner 28 Owner

26K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  MHRitter 
#1 ·
I wanted to drop in and say hi to the Mariner owners out there. I just picked up an old Mariner 28 and aside from a few dozen questions that I am figuring out the answers to, love the boat.

I have had Columbia's for the past 20 years with sailing mostly in the area around Baltimore and Annapolis... and no, my picture is not the Mariner..LOL

#12 ·
Rich,
MYN- identifier for Mariner Yachts New Hampshire (now taken by a firm in Florida)
28xxx- 28 foot boat series
M78- Model year 1978, which began in August (?) 1977
B- month of production (Believe A was August. which makes B September )
Makes sense. Hull #1 was registered as a 1977. you are Hull 24. I was hull 58
MYN28058M78H I think mine was built in March (1978). Hull 1 is for sale in Tennessee.

I hope this helps.
Lou

#13 ·
It does help, very kind of you to share. The previous owner of my Mariner made some modifications to the cabin interior. Most we're good, keeping a lot of the teak. He however, put vinyl flooring on the cabin ceiling and floor. While rather practical, not a look that I care for. I'm one of those guys, and my girl is one of those girls that prefer a more traditional look. Any chance that you have pictures of the interior of your Mariner? I would like to see the original lay out and get some ideas for the winter refit.

Rich & Rachelle

#14 ·
Rich,
I do not have any decent pics of my cabin interior. I was redoing it, but didn't take any before pictures. Check on Yacht world or sailing texas. There are some "For Sale" pics that are decent. The headliner was a vinyl sheet held in place by teak or mahoghany battens. The material was sort of cream with a dark grey swirlly smoke pattern. It always looked to me like the mildew had gotten to the vinyl, but no that was the pattern. Drop me an email
lwi2858 (at) gmail. I may have a swatch of the vinyl, but I wouldn't advise trying to match it. You should check in at MYOG. There are a few folks who just got boats, and may be willing to take pictures. Also If you need lenses (most do) for the P & B stainless nav lights, I can get you a contact. My cabin had a teak and holley sole, and mahoghany panalling everywhere else. The windows had leaked and destroyed the mahoghany around the cabin trunk, and the sole had rotted;got the sole up and was planning on Lonseal for the replacement. My cabin was kind of dark due to the mahoghany, I was planning ultra suade for the cabin trunk around the windows. You can do all kinds of stuff with cork flooring, a light color with teak or mahoghany (depending on how they finished your cabin) battens could look nice, easy replacement and practicle, as its a noise insulation. "Traditional" is a funny thing. Teak was originally used because it was CHEAP. Real yachtsmen used cherry or walnut! The "herreschoff" look, with mostly white panels and dark trim is very practical, as it "lightens" the cabin, and looks nice. Look at a lot of boats, traditional gives you a lot of latitude!
lou

#16 ·
Dear Lou,
If you still own a Mariner 28 sailboat please contact me.
I am trying to start a Facebook site but need other "members".
My boat is a 1978 model which I have owned for a year. I am located in Ontario, Canada.

I got no response from Mariner Yacht Owners Group

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.