SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Mass Bay Sailors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/mass-bay-sailors/)
-   -   PHRF Rating (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/mass-bay-sailors/58649-phrf-rating.html)

Jalapeno 10-05-2009 05:52 PM

PHRF Rating
 
Good evening. I am interested in entering the Figawi in the spring with either a Pearson 26 and/or (there are a few of us wanting to go) a Bristol 24. While I know that the base rating for the Bristol 24 is way above the acceptable 210 to enter this race, the Pearson 26 is only 3 above the limit. Does anyone have any advice what I can do to lower the handicap to below 210 for either of these two boats?
I have pretty much ruled out the Bristol, but if there is a miracle solution that anyone knows about, I'm all ears.

Thanks

paulk 10-05-2009 06:03 PM

Options
 
There are a number of reasons they don't want boats with high ratings doing the Figawi. Primarily, the Race Committee likes to get in to party too, and waiting around for boats that take two days instead of one cuts down on the fun for them, as well as cutting into your enjoyment of the festivities as well. Maybe you can find a J/24 instead.

JohnRPollard 10-05-2009 06:04 PM

Interesting question -- Most folks try to avoid getting their rating lowered.:D

There are ways to lower a boat's rating. You can sail it really fast, consistently.:D If you don't have time to do that, there are some other ways.

I don't know if they'll work in your case but I'll mention a few that come to mind.

- Feathering/folding prop

- Oversized spin pole

- Oversized genoa (i.e., >140%)

Most of these each result in -3 to the rating.

JohnRPollard 10-05-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 529129)
There are a number of reasons they don't want boats with high ratings doing the Figawi. Primarily, the Race Committee likes to get in to party too, and waiting around for boats that take two days instead of one cuts down on the fun for them, as well as cutting into your enjoyment of the festivities as well. Maybe you can find a J/24 instead.

Yeah, but Figawi is a chase race (precorrected), so in theory everyone should come in close to the same time.

Maybe they just don't want to get up that early.:D :D

sailingfool 10-05-2009 09:17 PM

Here are your adjustments
PHRF New England - Handicapping - Handicap Adjustments

the easiest would be to claim a 170% genoa which would get you to a rating of 207.

blt2ski 10-05-2009 10:04 PM

Base rating includes all code 5 sails, ie main, jib, spin and a folding prop. Non folder is usually a 6 sec add. smaller than a 153 jib and spin, small roached man will result in a higher rating, ie instead of a base 213 swaging here, you would be 220 or some such thing.

as mentioned going to a bigger than 153% of fore triangle, how done here in the NW, wold net you you some time. I have a code 6 ~157% genoa, so I get a 3 sec hit, which would be in your favor to get into the race.

Some will put on a mast head spin if they have a fractonal rig and take hits with spin point this way, ie go to a code 7 or 8 and have 6 sec taken off the time to a 207. If a long downwinded race, this might be the better ticket from a race stand point, but if you are just tryng to get the rating down, find a BIG head sail that will fit and get the rating lowered.

marty

sailingfool 10-05-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 529202)
..., but if you are just tryng to get the rating down, find a BIG head sail that will fit and get the rating lowered.

marty

You gota be kidding here...nobody is actually adding any sails, the only questions as I heard is, is to what to put on the application to get the desired rating. If th eP could find a decent 170% genoa for a P26, there be little use in putting on the boat for a May race in New England, better to be sure he has a good blade.

blt2ski 10-05-2009 11:05 PM

Racing in NEngland is no different than here in the NW in March, 20-40 knot winds one day, calm the next. I did one race last March, down wind hit 11 knots in my 30'r with a full main and 110, to get back to the start would have been double reef and a storm jib, as I was then going against a 30-40 knot wind vs with! Three weeks later, I was using my drifter.....

BUT, still, if he can find a BIG headsail to have along, put on application etc, will get his rating low enough to qualify. Where he gets the sail at or from......that is up to the OP. If he is going to get hit with a rating, might as well have the sail along to use if the winds are light enough!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012