Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast > Mass Bay Sailors
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011

GGsailor is on a distinguished road
does ANYONE sail in Boston???

I'm moving from San Francisco to Boston, and the fact to be found so far is that even though Boston has one of the most famous harbors on the east coast, no one seems to be very interested in sailing! In San Francisco, we have at least 8 yacht clubs, at least one of which organizes some kind of race every week!
Boston, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!??? Someone please prove me wrong, and tell me where the sailing is to be had!
I will be a law student at Northeastern. I have plenty of sailing experience: I worked bow on a farr 36 in the San Francisco Big Boat Series, I have done off shore races, some of which were down the coast of California, I am a helmsman or tactician on a C&C 37, and I have done misc. sailing for most of my life. A notable thing as well, is that I sailed with my parents and a crew on a 52 ft. boat from San Diego, CA to Hawaii.
If you need someone who can work any part of a sailboat, please contact me!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2011

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
Hi GG,

There are at least 4 sailing clubs in Boston Harbor. Each has intra-club races several times per week, and Wednesday nights are the inter-club and PHRF races. There are also several yacht clubs in Boston Harbor.

There is PLENTY of sailing to be had on Boston Harbor.

I'm just getting started in racing by attending Thursday night beginner Rhodes 19 racing at Courageous Sailing Center in Charlestown. I'm sure you can easily find a spot on a crew somewhere.
Old 06-08-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Try Blackrock sailing center for a start
Old 06-08-2011

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
Okay, so make that at least 5 sailing clubs in Boston Harbor. I did not know about Blackrock.

So there's:

Courageous (my club of choice at the moment) Courageous Sailing - Boston, MA - Home Page

Piers Park Piers Park Sailing Center

Boston Sailing Center Boston Sailing Center: Sailing School, Sailing Club - Lessons, Memberships, Racing, Cruising, Charters, Instruction

Boston Harbor Sailing Club Boston Sailing - Schools Lessons Certifications - Boston Harbor Sailing Club - Sailboat Racing Moorings Rentals Charters

Blackrock Sailing School Black Rock Sailing School in Boston Harbor, MA

Oh, and let's not forget about Community Boating on the Charles River:
Community Boating, Inc - Boston
Old 06-09-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
And those are just the sailing clubs

Add to that all of the Yacht clubs from Winthrop, Hull, Hingham, South Shore, Braintree, Wesagusett (sp?), etc. Here is a link to Hingham Bay Racing. They have a list of 30 yacht clubs. Most of these have various races throughout the season and there is a very active beer can racing on Wednesday nights.

But hay, finding that out might require you to do some research. Instead you just made stupid statements like "even though Boston has one of the most famous harbors on the east coast, no one seems to be very interested in sailing!" and "Boston, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!???" Besides not even doing any research, there are other reasons to sail then racing. Maybe you should just stay on the left coast, we don't need this kind of attitude in Boston.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 06-13-2011

poyklr is on a distinguished road
And Don't Forget Mblhead

40 mins to the north of Boston, if you have a car, is Marblehead, MA. Arguably one of 3 major racing ports on the E. Coast. The MRA maintains 3 starting lines in numerous (used to be > 12, in my day) one-design classes, and PHRF (the popular measurement rule, here in the NE). 3 major clubs - on the scale of NYYC - and another half dozen smaller clubs besides. Plenty of sailors here in Boston.
Old 11-23-2013

MauiPunter is on a distinguished road
Re: does ANYONE sail in Boston???

Best sailing around in New England. Mass Bay down to cape and islands. You are going to love the change. Water is warmer, thats for sure. Less fog.
Old 11-23-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

There is also this group; pelagicsailingclub.org | Dedicated to bringing together competent skippers and competent crew for their mutual sailing benefit in the Boston MA area!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 11-23-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

...and this; Mass Bay Sailing Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 11-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Been a member of Plymouth Yacht club which has produced Olympic medalists but think the best sailing near Boston is in Buzzards Bay and up around Marblehead. Mass Bay tends to have much less wind during those peak summer months,