SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Charitable Donation: Sailing?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sailingfool 
#1 ·
Hi - I work for a Roxbury, MA nonprofit organization that offers tutoring and writing workshops for kids. We're having a fundraising event in May and looking for items we can auction. Would anyone be willing to donate an afternoon sail (or evening, or weekend) to the auction? I'm thinking the boat ought to be over 30 ft to be able to accomodate, say, six people in addition to you, the captain ...

#2 ·
If you haven't already done so, you might try contacting any charter companies or sailing schools that are in your area. Many are generous about encouraging sailing, eager for publicity, and of course they are already dealing with liability issues so there are fewer "new" worries for them to consider on a group sail.

#5 ·
"A "passenger for hire" means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel."

My take is the regulation requires that the boat be helmed by a licensed Captain. That the OP mentioned "accommodate six people" leads me to believe the OP anticipates the same, i.e. 6-Pack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.