Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Mass Bay Sailors
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
Southern New England Boat Ramps

I have a new (to me) trailer sailer and have zero experience with boat ramps. I live between Boston and Providence, so would prefer ramps on the MA South Shore or Boston Harbor, South Coast, or Narragansett Bay.

My boat draws 20" with the swing keel up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012

billsull is on a distinguished road
Re: Southern New England Boat Ramps

Here's a couple you can check out:

Mattapoisett Harbor Boat Ramp: beautiful harbor, friendly harbormaster staff - just a nice place to be on a summer day. Plus all of Buzzards Bay, the Cape and Elizabeth Islands are at your doorstep.

http://www.mattapoisett.net/Pages/Ma...guestflyer.pdf

Fort Adams State Park Boat Ramp: I've never put a boat in at this ramp myself, but I have seen some fairly large (18' - 20' LOA) boats go in here. It's tucked in at the southern end of Brenton Cove. I love sailing around the moorings in Newport Harbor to "shop" for my next boat! Give Sail Newport a call for more info: (401) 846-1983.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

www.activecaptain.com

Go to the interactive cruising guide. May take a bit of poking around the areas you are interested in, but they will all be there, most likely with user reviews. Good luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-04-2012

christyleigh is on a distinguished road

I used to launch at a ramp in E. Greenwich for access to Greenwich Bay in the N.W. section of Narragansett Bay. Although it may seem like the 'wrong side' of the bay for you the ramp is a fairly short and easy hop off 95 so the drive wouldn't be that bad. If you want more info PM me.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 05-04-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road

Thanks, all. I have already poured over the entire length of the coastlines I'm interested in in ActiveCaptain. A few of the dozens of ramps have user comments, most just have coordinates. What I'm really looking for is first hand experience. I find it remarkable how little information is available on the internet about boat ramps.

I fully plan to submit my experiences with the ones I end up trying to the ActiveCaptain database so the next guy doesn't have to work so hard...
Old 05-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Here's my experience. Well maintained ramps are crowded and sometimes cost money to use. Poorly maintained ramps are not crowded, but sometimes are roped off for safety reasons when you get there.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.