Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Mass Bay Sailors
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012

alturia is on a distinguished road
Re: Relocating from Chesapeake to New England

Why not keep the boat in Maine? The best cruising in all of New England and mooring/slip charges and storage charges are probably less than the Boston, Buzzards Bay and Narragansett Bay area.

I live in Rhode Island and keep my boat in Narraganset Bay but we usually spend 1 to 2 months each summer up in Maine and Canada. Lots of great anchorages that are much less crowded.

Take a look at "A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast" 5th edition or ActiveCaptain.com for marinas. I'd locate in either Penobscot Bay or the Mt. Desert areas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We love Narragansett Bay for its options. You can get to open water and have the option of heading east or west. Plenty of daysails or easily reachable islands for overnights. If the ocean is boiling, the Bay itself has many towns and anchorages.

If you ever want anything to do, other than sailing, there is also everything you might imagine in the area: restaurants, theaters, golf, chowder festivals, art shows, etc, etc,. etc.

From the Providence airport, you are probably going to want to be on the western shore of the Bay. However, you could drive up to Providence and over and down to Bristol. Further down the East shore could be a haul.

The trick is going to be how far you want to drive. The closer you get to open water (and Newport), the more expensive, but the more flexible. From Providence itself, it can be 90 mins just to get to open water.

I fully agree with searching on activecaptain.com and start making phone calls. It has surprised me how booked all the marinas have been right through the recession.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road

I signed up for ActiveCaptain and it is a great resource. Thank you!
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 05-24-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Understand if you chose MA, you will pay a 6.25% use tax based on the purchase price of your vessel, making a good argument for preferring RI.
Old 05-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Understand if you chose MA, you will pay a 6.25% use tax based on the purchase price of your vessel, making a good argument for preferring RI.
That's a great point. One may have paid sales wherever they come from, but you want to be sure that the State you move your boat to will at least credit them against their use tax. I've been told that Mass is tough.

Rhode Island has no sales or use tax on boats. That encourages some MA residents to try to fake it (ie Senator Kerry), so I suspect that causes them to get aggressive.

On the other hand, if you ever want to see competitive tax policy at work, you should see the number of boats in our marina with out of state owners. It is totally legit as long as your boat is actually kept in RI. They all come to RI and spend tons of money on boat stuff, restaurants, etc. It's a boon for RI and keeps a lot of people employed.

There are two Canadians here that I know of that are admittedly avoiding Canada's 25% import tax. Much less expensive to drive down here and spend their boat bucks with us. Welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-24-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Avoid Boston Harbor (inner harbor)

I'd avoid keeping my boat in the Boston Harbor area. Sailing inside is a major pain on the weekend. Lot's of commercial traffic and idiot boaters. It's also a good 30+ minutes to open water. Nice place to visit though.

I echo what others have said. Buzzards Bay, Narragansett Bay are good waters and easily accessible from Boston or Providence airports. Marblehead/Salem/Beverly MA is a huge sailing area and about 30-40 mins from Boston airport.
Old 05-30-2012

alturia is on a distinguished road

I believe the use tax ONLY applies if you purchased your boat recently (within 2 years) AND did not pay the sales tax in the state in which you purchased it. At least that is the way it works in Maine.
Old 05-30-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alturia View Post
I believe the use tax ONLY applies if you purchased your boat recently (within 2 years) AND did not pay the sales tax in the state in which you purchased it. At least that is the way it works in Maine.
Supposedly MA removed the time limit of ownership as an exemption to the use tax, although it is difficult to interpret the statues, that is a reasonable reading.

Sales taxes paid to another state may reduce the use tax due, depending on the state and MA's acceptance of their tax, again something difficult to evaluate until you are before the payment window with a check book
Old 05-30-2012

No two State's Use Tax rules are exactly alike.

Jeanneau 54DS