Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Mass Bay Sailors
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Question Relocating from Chesapeake to New England

Hello New England sailors! After 5 years keeping my boat in Solomons, Md I have decided to try a new cruising area and move the boat to New England. i live in Colorado so it's just as easy to fly to Maryland as to, say, Providence, RI, or Boston. I am open for suggestions on what to make my new home port. I will be sailing up in August and will need to leave the boat on a mooring ball for a couple weeks and then return to cruise in September. Then I want to put the boat on the hard until next Spring. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good marina for winter storage, and possibly for a slip the following season? Newport area maybe? Buzzards Bay? Not too expensive (ha ha). Ease of access from an airport is also important. Don't keep your favorite place a secret! I will be a good neighbor Thanks in advance.

Paul
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Relocating from Chesapeake to New England

Buzzards Bay is a great sailing area, this is my favorite place: Kingman Yacht Center | Home but is on the Cape so crossing the Canal can be slow on weekends (but worth it). You can try the other side of the Bay where the commute is less of a challenge here: Buzzard Bay and Cape Cod Boat Sales, Boat Service, Dockage, Mooring and Storage - Neds Point, Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod, Massachusetts or here: Burr Brothers Boats - Home

There are a lot of places close to the airport: Boston Harbor Marina | Boston Harbor Shipyard or http://www.marinabayboston.com/ but the best deal in town is right at the end of the runway: Cottage Park Yacht Club - Home Page
Old 05-18-2012

Thanks sailingfool. I will check out all your recommendations. I realize now that I posted my question on the wrong forum. To get a response from a broader area (RI, for instance) I should have posted to the "US Northeast" destination forum. Can the monitor tell me if it's OK to re-post to a different forum?
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 05-18-2012

christyleigh is on a distinguished road

The link I pasted in is for Greenwich Bay Marina/Brewers. Brewer Greenwich Bay Marina | Warwick, RI I think Brewers has bought out about 5 marinas in the bay over the past 10 years. I slipped my first 10 years there and the planes from T.F. Green airport (Warwick) fly over the marina so you have both wishes. There are also many other marinas all over Narragansett Bay within a short drive to the airport. I moved down to the Wickford marina for more options for day sails and to be closer to the mouth for ocean cruises.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 05-18-2012

GMC is on a distinguished road

If you want a little character/flavor/variety to your homeport, try New Bedford. Moorings available. I use a great marina over the winter named Moby Dick Marina in Fairhaven. Although I drive 3 hours to get there and chose the harbor by default because it was the only place I could get a mooring, my wife and I love it. Real working harbor with a lot of history. Half day sail to Elizabeth Islands, Woods Hole. Half to whole to Narraganset Bay. Half to day sail to Vineyard. Always wind. Lot of places to go. P'town airport 45 minutes away, I think, and Logan in Boston about an hour. Also local regional airport.
Old 05-18-2012

GMC is on a distinguished road

I meant Providence airport, not P'town, which is Provincetown.
Old 05-18-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

First off; check ActiveCaptain for a listing of ALL marinas.

I live in MA, but keep my boat in RI for 2 reasons; 1-Narragansett Bay (for the admiral) is protected and great sailing. 2- NO tax on Boats. Rhode Island has a strong maritime heritage, and strives to keep it alive, by having no taxes on boats. MA will hit you for sales tax/use tax, excise tax, and anything else that the pinheads in Boston can think of.

If you wish to keep it in MA, Cottage Park, and Constitution Marina are two popular ones, as well as the Winthrop Yacht Club. You could also check with Mark Healy, owner of the Boston Harbor Sailing Club Boston Harbor Sailing Club - Sailboat Racing Moorings Rentals Charters, as he has about 10 moorings that he will lease for the summer.

Good luck, and let us know where you land.
Old 05-19-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Paul: Sorry to hear will be leaving, I frequently go by your boat to check it out, but congrats on moving the boat north! A friend of mine up there always tells me how great the summer cruising is up there-not as hot!
Old 05-19-2012

norsearayder is on a distinguished road

find a place in maine its where everone goes for a real sailing experince
Old 05-19-2012

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. So many places to sail, so little time. I will let all the info ferment for a while before making a decision.
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.