Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Mirage
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014

Fairladyaffair is on a distinguished road
Mirage 29, a make over.

Last weekend I bought this amazing boat from Snug Harbor Boats in Buford Georgia just of Lake Sydney Lanier. She has been on the hard for at least the past 3 years and needs a significant amount of TLC.

Snug Harbor Boats (Buford, GA)

When I first saw this boat I loved the layout and the general build of the boat. She is right at the size I have been looking for going on 5 long years now of being patient and frustrated. When I saw the asking price I got even more excited. If you followed my other thread asking opinions and keeping those following up to date through the process of negotiation I managed to get the boat for an even better deal but had no idea how much boat I had actually stumbled upon.

After purchasing the boat I finally dived into all the compartments full of gear that came with it and was amazed at what I found. I still have not taken a full inventory of what I recieved with the boat and continue to find new goodies as I give it the much needed make over.

This thread will document its clean up, bottom job, and complete recommissioning. To include mast and standing rigging and running rigging configuration.

One thing I have noticed since I began researching this particular boat is that there is very little documented resources regarding this boat at all still easily available. I hope to find the information I need for my setup and make it available for others fortunate enough to own a wonder boat such as mine.

This is how I found her. Neglected but still solid and very capable. I was very pleased to discover that the mast has been waiting patiently inside a climate controlled building for the past several years.

Today I spent most of the day scrubbing the deck to bring back its original white appearance from under the mildew and white powder created by the sun beating down on its deck for the past few years.

before images from 6/12/14

And these are after todays effort.

More images will be provided tomorrow as I have more progress. Please keep in mind this is the first time I have used an high speed buffer on a boat before so there is a learning curve. Plus I was press for time and plan to go back over the polish work tomorrow. Please leave comments and questions as well as anything else you would like to see in this project and thanks for watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirage 29, a make over.

the sun is shining

Vector X + Y
Old 06-13-2014

Yes it is, i actually was quite suprised. The weather was scheduled to be super nasty but it held out all day and i got alot done. Plan to pick up where i left off tomorrow and hopefully have some wood work completed too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2014
arrgh!

fixed it ;-)

Vector X + Y
Old 06-13-2014

Lol

Old 06-13-2014
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road

Yikes! For a moment I thought I was looking at our boat. We own a 1987 Mirage 29'. They're nice boats, and sail nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fairladyaffair likes this.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjunkie View Post
Yikes! For a moment I thought I was looking at our boat. We own a 1987 Mirage 29'. They're nice boats, and sail nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am very glad you posted. I have been trying to get in touch with another Mirage 29' owner. My boat (as you can see) is not rigged by any means. If you wouldn't mind, I would really like some up close photos of how your standing and running rigging is configured. I have absolutely no knowledge of any resource documenting how it is supposed to be rigged. I am sure I could figure it out but I would rather see a properly set up boat. Any assistance your willing to provide would be a major help. PM me if you would like to help. THANKS!
Old 06-13-2014

Ok today I got a later start than I would have liked. I woke up this morning and felt like Davy Jones himself had beaten me with an oar!

Anyways I made a little progress, by a little I finished buffing the port side of my Mirage and and scrubbed the transom. I also installed a latch to "secure" the hatch, no pun intended

Before

After, unfortunately the weather was a lot more overcast and I couldn't get a very good shot.

Before

After, I still need to polish but just after scrubbing it was definatly noteworthy.

Here is my new lock. Simple, yet effective.

Update on ETW (estimated time in water), found a guy to transport my Mirage and launch it for 1/3 less than I was expecting to pay. As well as tomorrow my truck should be sold. This means she should be in the water before July 1 if things continue to go as planned. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-13-2014
arrgh!

hard to keep up with you... almost seems like a topic ripe for a blog

Keep remembering to take pictures... Are you working alone, or is your wife helping out?

Vector X + Y
Old 06-14-2014

So far i have done everything alone. There are a lot of knowledge rich people that regularly work on boats in some form or fashion, to include a sail maker, so i pick their brains if i have any doubts or hesitation.

I do have a friend who is going to be my assistant. He has offered to come out and help in any way he can in order to learn as much as possible. He also happens to be my partner at work.

Im going back up on friday and saturday. Provided my truck sells as expected tomorrow, i plan to put her in the water by the weekend of the 28th of June provided I can complete the remaining service the boat requires before that date.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.