Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Mirage
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008
Waverider

waverider24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to waverider24
Thumbs up Mirage Yachts Ltd

As owner of 3 different Mirage Yachts I can say you will not find a better built boat for the price. The Mirage 24 is a solid racer and cruiser, I have sailed them in up to 35Kt winds and sea's of up to 16ft.

I am now on my 3rd Mirage, it is the 275 model and although I have to admit the 24 has better performance. The 27 ft is a great cruiser, comfortable well built. There is no balasm core so soft spots are not a problem.

To bad the company went under, it would be great to see them back and making there world class yachts.
Old 10-28-2008

Runamoksc is on a distinguished road
Help with Mirage 24 water problems

Hey, you had a 24? We just bought a '74 and are hugely frustrated with water dripping down the inside of the hull in the cockpit lockers and inside the cabin in about 8 spots and soaking our interior cushions and goods. It is not consistant really either...when water sits on the hull next to toerails, no problem, but after a big rain yes, after sleeping in the boat with no rain, sometimes, after sailing a very wet ride, yes. We have resealed our toerail edges, the "joint" where the deck meets hull and most everything on the deck. It has helped some. I have even gotten in the cockpit lockers and don't see anything obvious, jsut condensation. We are thinking horrible condensation from the 30-degree temp difference btwn day and night?? Seems like too much water for just that. Could each individual screw on the toerails and stantions be the culprit? Any ideas? Did you also have the problem? Help!
Old 10-28-2008

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
when i got my C@C 24 which is a similiar design, the interior was caulked along the seam at the toerails. Seems to have sealed any leaks. i had to seal the windows and front hatch which leaked badly. All dry now and other then that for a 1983 it is a well built and fun boat to sail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2008

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
Waverider, I am just getting started with sailing the past two summers. I'm enjoying my first boat the 275. I have been impressed with her out on Georgian Bay. I am sad as she got hauled for winter this week! Have you done any upgrades to your 275. Mine is pretty much bare bones as she came from the factory. At least she is unmolested and a blank canvas!
Old 11-01-2008
Waverider

The only upgrade or down grade that I have done is put an outboard on the reverse trasism instead of replacing the OMC saildrive ( Upgrade due to better engine, Downgrade due to Resale value and being in Big Seas). When you look at the cost of a new Yanmar or Beta saildrive it is not worth it to replace the saildrive.

As for the Mirage 24 having water leaks, yes you should undo all the bolts in the toe rail and use Marine 5500 in the hole and rebolt the deck to the hull. A time consuming job but one I would recommend. I am doing the same thing to my 275 right now as I am planning on cruising it from Nova Scotia to Maine and back next summer. Then the summer after down the ICW to the Bahamma's.

Cheers

Waverider

Last edited by waverider24; 11-01-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2008

Fonkamex is on a distinguished road
I am looking for my first sailboat with cabin right now. Someone is selling a Mirage 24 at $4000 Canadian dollars in Montreal, and I will see the boat tomorrow. I'm considering a Catalina 22 also, because she seems to be very popular and well commented by many users. Could you give to me any advise about this two boats? Thanks
Old 11-02-2008

Do your window gaskets leak? Rebedding them is on my to do list.
Old 11-16-2008

WTH was that??
Old 11-16-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by M275sailer View Post
WTH was that??
Spam in Chinese...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-25-2008
Waverider

Fonkamex, the downside to the Mirage 24 is the headroom. Everything about the Mirage 24 performance wise is top notch. You will be very pleased with the boat and glad you invested in one. $ 4000 Canadian for that boat is a good price. I bought my first one in 2001 it was in bad shape, on the hard for 7 years. I paid $ 5000.00 CAD, and it needed another $ 1500 in work to make it a nice boat. My second one I paid 6500 for and sold last year for 8500.00.

Good luck and enjoy,

Waverider24