SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

our free Mirage 236

12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Pomel 
#1 ·
Well, We just got a Mirage for free. I think it will be the most expensive "free" boat I have owned. It needs interior work, and cleaning, but it is sea worthy. I have just 3 problems.

1) No rudder. The tiller and mounting is complete, but the actual rudder is missing.

2) No boom.

3) No sails.

I know where to get sails, and most of the other stuff is just maintenance, and clean up.

Does anybody know where to find rudders and booms, or specs for a Mirage 236?

#3 ·
I too have just purchased one Mirage 236. It is a lift keel. I'm trying to locate as much as possible on the boat. Would you mind sharing any and all pictures of yours? Mine is halfway through a restoration job when the previous owner gave up. Your help would be greatly appreicated!
Sincerely,
Murphy Peoples
Clinton, SC

#5 ·
Well, We just got a Mirage for free. I think it will be the most expensive "free" boat I have owned. It needs interior work, and cleaning, but it is sea worthy. I have just 3 problems.

1) No rudder. The tiller and mounting is complete, but the actual rudder is missing.

2) No boom.

3) No sails.

I know where to get sails, and most of the other stuff is just maintenance, and clean up.

#6 ·
Mirage Manufacturing

2) No boom.

3) No sails.

As I was recently informed by Ken Fickett, owner and founder, that Mirage Manufacturing Co. (Gainsville FL) is still in business. (no longer building sailboats). No idea if they have any information that would be helpful to you. But it's worth a shot.
This system is not allowing me to post any links. But you should be able to find it with a quick search.

Best of luck.
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

#9 ·
Randy,

I certainly don't mind being corrected if it means I learn something!

Pretty bold of me to assume that ALL Mirage sailboats were built by the same company as the one that built mine!

Thanks for the clarification.

Chris

#10 ·
Mirage Sailboats

Randy,

I certainly don't mind being corrected if it means I learn something!

Pretty bold of me to assume that ALL Mirage sailboats were built by the same company as the one that built mine!

Thanks for the clarification.

Chris
You are most welcome. I get more things 'wrong' than I care to admit. But as one who tries to follow this kind of thing, I think I'm right in this case.
If you have any interest in seeing the various boats we are talking about, you could go to sailboatdata.com and type 'Mirage' into the boat name field.
Just wish I had more on the MIRAGE 236. The owner/founder of Mirage Mfg., actually contacted me and promised me he would send some information on this particular boat. But, so far, he hasn't followed through.

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

#11 ·
mirage 236 info

i too have a 79 model mirage 236 that is in good condition that i race on lake weiss in north alabama and love the boat. it is fast, handles weather very good for a dagger board boat and consistenty holds its own for an amateur racer, i would like to have any info that is out there on this boat, but like you have searched the internet for 2 years and not much is there. let me know if i can help with anything and keep me in mind if you find something new from mirage.

#12 ·
I have a mirage 236, hull #2. I live in Gainesville, Fl where Mirage is located. It is definitely built in Gainesville, Fl. Mine is partly restored, not sailing but on a restored trailer. A smaller 20 foot version was also available. Ken Fickett is the builder and is still building boats, just now cruising trawlers. I sailed mine for many years; very fast with spinnaker. I broke my rudder and had a custom one built for me by Fickett. My interior rotted out from exposure to water and I began restoring it before getting sidetracked. Ted

#14 ·
Mirage 236

Hello Ted. My name is Chris, I am interested in buying an Mirage 236 Hull. Are you interested in selling yours? If not, do you know of anyone who is looking or willing to sell theirs? My hull got damaged in an accident and I want to stay with a Mirage. Thanks for your time. My email is christopherljohannes at gmail dot com.

Chris

#13 ·
Mirage 236

2) No boom.

3) No sails.

Are you still looking for equipment for your mirage 236? If you are not interested in restoring it, are you interested in selling it? If so, I am an interested buyer. My name is Chris Johannes, you can email me at christopherljohannes at gmail dot com or you can call me at 317-496-0806.

Chris

#16 ·
Wow it's much later that the last post. I just purchased a Mirage 236 and I needs interior work. I will launch it 2016 summer. It was raced extensively on a lake in up state NY. It has lots of sails. The previous owners took out the bench seats on the left and the right down below and it looks like they removed the bulkhead???!! The boat has been sitting on a trailer for a few years and there are pads in the back and a "U" shaped cradle under the boat at the front. I noticed that the deck was not perfectly straight on one side, meaning that the bow might of sagged on the trailer. I am going to replace the bulkheads and the benches. I hope this boat is not totally screwed.

#17 ·
I also have a 1980 Mirage 236, Hull #15 retractable keel... Picked it up in Pensacola a few years ago it had no trailer found one and brought her back to New Orleans, inside of the cabin was totally destroyed water soaked and rotted. I stripped everything out of it and started from scratch inside the cabin. she was sailable but needed a good cleaning on the outside from sitting in the water and sun for a couple of years. I haven't sailed in 25 years so this should be good HA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.