SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Mirage (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/mirage/)
-   -   our free Mirage 236 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/mirage/52251-our-free-mirage-236-a.html)

skippingstone 03-08-2009 09:48 AM

our free Mirage 236

Well, We just got a Mirage for free. I think it will be the most expensive "free" boat I have owned. It needs interior work, and cleaning, but it is sea worthy. I have just 3 problems.

1) No rudder. The tiller and mounting is complete, but the actual rudder is missing.

2) No boom.

3) No sails.

I know where to get sails, and most of the other stuff is just maintenance, and clean up.

Does anybody know where to find rudders and booms, or specs for a Mirage 236?

lporcano 08-31-2009 01:27 PM

seeya

murphypeoples 09-14-2009 04:01 PM

I too have just purchased one Mirage 236. It is a lift keel. I'm trying to locate as much as possible on the boat. Would you mind sharing any and all pictures of yours? Mine is halfway through a restoration job when the previous owner gave up. Your help would be greatly appreicated!
Sincerely,
Murphy Peoples
Clinton, SC

murphypeoples 10-29-2009 03:19 PM

Thanks for posting the link... but no photos appear??

murphypeoples 10-30-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippingstone (Post 459658)
Well, We just got a Mirage for free. I think it will be the most expensive "free" boat I have owned. It needs interior work, and cleaning, but it is sea worthy. I have just 3 problems.

1) No rudder. The tiller and mounting is complete, but the actual rudder is missing.

2) No boom.

3) No sails.

I know where to get sails, and most of the other stuff is just maintenance, and clean up.

sonosail 06-18-2010 09:41 AM

Mirage Manufacturing

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippingstone (Post 459658)

2) No boom.

3) No sails.

As I was recently informed by Ken Fickett, owner and founder, that Mirage Manufacturing Co. (Gainsville FL) is still in business. (no longer building sailboats). No idea if they have any information that would be helpful to you. But it's worth a shot.
This system is not allowing me to post any links. But you should be able to find it with a quick search.

Best of luck.
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com

Anonymoose 08-08-2010 08:59 PM

Mirage Manufacturing in Florida is a different company.

The Mirage Yacht company (who built all Mirage sailboats) was based in Quebec, Canada and folded in the early 90's (or thereabouts)

sonosail 08-09-2010 09:06 AM

Mirage Sailboats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymoose (Post 630332)
Mirage Manufacturing in Florida is a different company.

The Mirage Yacht company (who built all Mirage sailboats) was based in Quebec, Canada and folded in the early 90's (or thereabouts)

They are/were different companies. But I'm fairly certain the the 236 was built by the former. (designed by Bruce Kelly). In any case, there are many different sailboats called Mirage, built by a number of builders besides the one in Canada.

Randy Browninig

Anonymoose 08-09-2010 05:11 PM

Randy,

I certainly don't mind being corrected if it means I learn something!

Pretty bold of me to assume that ALL Mirage sailboats were built by the same company as the one that built mine!

Thanks for the clarification.

Chris

sonosail 08-09-2010 09:17 PM

Mirage Sailboats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymoose (Post 630682)
Randy,

I certainly don't mind being corrected if it means I learn something!

Pretty bold of me to assume that ALL Mirage sailboats were built by the same company as the one that built mine!

Thanks for the clarification.

Chris

You are most welcome. I get more things 'wrong' than I care to admit. But as one who tries to follow this kind of thing, I think I'm right in this case.
If you have any interest in seeing the various boats we are talking about, you could go to sailboatdata.com and type 'Mirage' into the boat name field.
Just wish I had more on the MIRAGE 236. The owner/founder of Mirage Mfg., actually contacted me and promised me he would send some information on this particular boat. But, so far, he hasn't followed through.

Regards,
Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com