Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Mirage
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010

serenespeed is on a distinguished road
Mirage 26 and Mirage 27

Hello,

I'm a very, VERY happy owner of a 1977 (Hull #13) Mirage 26. The boat has been fantastic to my wife and I. We have had her sailing up to 10.3kts (GPS speed) surfing down the back of some rolling waves in the middle of Georgian Bay.

Anyways, I started this thread with the hope of getting some info from other owners of the Mirage 26 (or 27) on running rigging setup. I'm wondering what people have done for there reefing lines, outhaul, spinnaker, etc...

Our boat has some older and tired setups that we are going to replace. If anyone is using a spinnaker or has figured out a reliable way to setup reefing and outhaul lines, I'd really like to hear from you.

I was doing a bit of digging and it seems that the Mirage 27 might have had internal lines in the boom for the two (leach cringle) reef lines as well as the outhaul. But I also think that the boom was a different design - Isomat from RigRite I believe.

Has anyone figured out a way to lead mainsail control lines and halyards aft to the cockpit? I'd like to see how this is done given the curved and bent shape of the cabin top as well as the location of the splash hood.

~~~~~~

I've done a fair bit of work to our boat to make her meet our needs. A few small things and a few bigger ones like redoing all of the electrical system and new scupper plumbing/through-hulls. If anyone wants to ask any questions about the Mirage 26 or Mirage 27, please feel free to ask in this thread. Having a place to post images and discuss the little details of these fun boats could prove valuable (and fun).

Thanks!

Daniel B
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For starters, have a look through the picture galleries on this Yachtworld listing.. you may get some ideas there.

mirage (Sail) Cruiser/Racer Boats For Sale

The things you need/want to do to the rig are not mirage-specific, and if you search these forums you'll find discussions on spinnaker rigging/handling, reefing systems etc galore.

Nice boats!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-14-2011

redrugbycat is on a distinguished road
mirage 26 rigging

I bought a Mirage 26 last fall and had it out a few times. My first sailboat/boat and after lots of research this winter I've come to the conclusion the previous owner had it rigged weird although it seemed to suit his needs. A lot of the lines are in need of replacing so I'm stuck. It looks as if the outhaul was connected to the topping lift cable and permanently hoisted the boom up. None of the labels remain. If you have a photo of how you rigged yours I would like to have a look.

P.S. I re-glassed the rudder this spring as it was in very bad shape. 1st time with fiberglass and I was very happy with results. Lots of cleaning up to do on the boat. What kind of engine do you have?

Jon
Old 04-22-2011
Mirage 27

teflongeoff is on a distinguished road
hey redrugbycat....jon
I have a 1985 mirage 27 too and yeah the boom setup is a little odd...so far it seems the outhaul is a double purchase inside the boom and that steel cable coming out the end of the boom to the(tack)to really tweek the foot...my setup is slab or jiffy reefing , single line running to the cocpit.....the teflon coated steel topping lift is actually a type of lazy jack/sailhandler where steel rings tyed to the leech slide up and down with the sail , I dumped them as I could not make them work for me ,doesnt seem to be a big enough sail to need them