SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Morgan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/)
-   -   Morgan 27 Diesel Repower Fit Question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/103060-morgan-27-diesel-repower-fit-question.html)

67rway 08-28-2013 04:21 PM

Morgan 27 Diesel Repower Fit Question

I am now the owner of a 1976 Morgan 27 with a dead Farymann diesel that I'd like to replace.

I'd like to hear from those who have a diesel in your M27, in hopes of identifying those engines that would be reasonable replacements.

Please also advise if you know the particulars of your prop.

Please let me know what diesel you have in yours, and any pertinent info.

Thanks!

67rway 09-01-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Morgan 27 Diesel Repower Fit Question

Wow!

77 people read this post, and no one has any knowledge of a diesel in an M-27....

67rway 09-20-2013 11:19 PM

OK... does anyone know of an Atomic 4 in an M27?

CalebD 09-21-2013 01:43 AM

Sorry not to chime in earlier.
I know that some Newport 27's had the A4 engine and some models of Morgan sailboats too.
The A4 and Farymann were installed in Tartan 27's from the production line.
I'm not sure that the engine beds were compatible but there you are.

It should cost you a lot less to re-power with an A4 than a diesel (used or new). Your re-sale price may be less but the initial outlay should be cheaper.

deniseO30 09-21-2013 07:42 AM

Engine replacements aren't all that boat model specific, could by why so few have responded. Stay with a diesel since it's already set up for it.

deltaten 09-21-2013 09:42 AM

IIRC from the brochure/manual, BetaMarine makes engine mounts for nearly all standard beds. Perhaps drop them a line ta see which fits what?

CaptainForce 09-21-2013 10:06 AM

The original standard auxiliary engine installed in the Morgan 27s was the Universal Atomic Four. My choice for your 7,000 lb displacement would be Beta Marine's marinized Kubota. Beta Marine recommends the Beta Ten as suitable for your weight, but I would rather choose the 13.5 hp Beta. These are made to fit your original engine bed that held the Atomic Four.

Faster 09-21-2013 11:05 AM

Measure the exisiting engine, the space around it, and trawl the net for drawings/specs of engines of interest. Beta is a good place to start. Aside from being able to 'shoehorn' the engine into place, the spacing and location of the beds/mounts is important too.

If the boat originally had an A4 and the Faryman was adapted onto the beds (rather than the other way round) then finding a match for the original A4 beds will be easier. Sticking with diesel is probably wisest long term, but the costs may outwiegh the value of the boat... depending new vs used and how much DIY you can manage.

CaptainForce 09-21-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1091801)
.................... Sticking with diesel is probably wisest long term, but the costs may outwiegh the value of the boat... depending new vs used and how much DIY you can manage.

This is an important point. It probably depends most upon your plans with the boat. I put a new diesel in my old boat, but I'd kept the boat for twenty years and I've had it another ten since the refit with plans of keeping it for at least ten more. If you don't plan to keep the boat for a good while it might not be worth it. Either way, you can never expect to get the value back for all you put into an old boat. The value has to be in the having and not the plans to sell!

67rway 09-23-2013 09:15 PM

Thanks to all for your input, it's greatly appreciated. I'm about to test-fire an Atomic 4, which I plan to make new beds for if all goes well. I've fabricated an engine mount/alignment template in anticipation, and will report progress.