Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007

JeffConwell is on a distinguished road
Greetings Morgan 45 Owners

I have owned my 45 N/M since October of 2000. We have done all kinds of work to it. We added 2 Air Conditioning units, Davits, Solar Panels, Isotherm Refrigeration, Just re-powered with a new Yanmar 75, Windlass, New Water Heater, New Instruments, New Harken furler, Mast Pulpits, second anchor roller, New Jib, Lazy Jacks, Drop top Dodger, New Bimini, New 50 Amp Power and cord. We already had a generator, mounted over the main engine. Most of the old systems have been replaced and we are beginning a crise along the gulf coast next week hope to be around to The Chessapeake area next summer. The baot sails great and we really love the way it motors now that we have replaced the old Perkins 4-108.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2008

Sailor13 is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy a Morgan Nelson Marek 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapnken View Post
I am looking for other owners of Morgan 45's. I have had mine for a long time and haven't found many owners. Like to share stories and infol
Ken
I am looking at a number of Morgan NM 45. I have been on one in Annapolis and one in Charleston. The two I've seen are in very good condition. There are about 10 currently for sale. Asking prices are $99,000 to $145,000. One of them is a 1985 Catalina Morgan NM 454.

I have been told that Catalina improved the boat and corrected a problem with the hull structure supporting the mast. Does anyone have information about this issue?

I am planning to live aboard with a dog for the next two years until my wife can retire. The Catalina version has a sugar scoop stern.

I think I will by the Morgan with the lease equipment aboard so I can equip it with the latest technology. A MaxPower fuel cell or WhisperJet can be used in place of a generator. If it is time to repower, conversion to electric propulsion is not such an expensive option.

I currently have TackTiicks sailing instruments on my current boat. It was a simple and quick installation and no wires. I works great.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2008

cedoyle is on a distinguished road
Morgan N/M 454

I've owned PROMISE, 1982 Morgan N/M 45, for sometime and went through all the mast issues among other things. Feel free to contact me. There are a couple of options if the repair has not been made.

PROMISE is currently birthed near Baltimore.
Old 08-04-2008

Harmon is on a distinguished road
I'm writing a feature article for a regional sailing magazine and would like input from Nelson/Merek 45 owners, their impressions of the boat, good and bad, experiences, names and, if possible, photos. I crew on Hallelujah out of St Pete; it's a racer with 14 winches on deck, tall rig and centerboard.
Thanks,
Harmon
Old 08-22-2008

Johncres is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windermere View Post
Hello! My boyfriend and I just bought a '84 Nelson Merek 45. We have a ton of questions, are the other owners still out there?! Jane
Ha to know?ve had your sistership for 15 years. What do you want
Old 03-23-2009

upncmng is on a distinguished road
N/M 45 Keel Issue ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedoyle View Post
I've owned PROMISE, 1982 Morgan N/M 45, for sometime and went through all the mast issues among other things. Feel free to contact me. There are a couple of options if the repair has not been made.

PROMISE is currently birthed near Baltimore.
Hello,,, new to the forum. I have an 83 N/M 45 and love the boat. This past wknd I sent a diver down to do a bottom scrub. The diver noted a small crack/separation just in front of the keel on the flat of the hull (keel is center board version). I have been told in the past that this separation issue is just a gap in the hull and keel 'tab' that is not structural. I plan to have boat hauled and inspect/repair this cosmetic (I hope) issue.
Anybody out there familiar with this problem?
Thx, Pete
Old 08-31-2009

upncmng is on a distinguished road
Nelson/Marek 45 owners

Any N/M 45 owners out there that want to share info,stories, tips etc?
Old 08-31-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey up - welcome to SN dude! I've been looking at tons of boats over the past year - and I have to say that the N/M 45 is my favorite. I'm sure it has its issues - but that is just a cool freakin' boat.

I saw one go for less than $30K a few months ago in Florida. It needed work - but was a great deal from what I could see. Killed me that I wasn't ready to buy at that point.

After that, I decided to charter instead of buy right now and try out as many boats as I can. But what a classic!

Are they comfortable for extended cruising? And how much of a pain was the cb? That's always a big question mark for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-03-2009

wrublewski is on a distinguished road
the cb is nice. adds to upwind sailing but it's a bitch to get up and down. I'm not sure if it's just my boat, but there are way too many bends in the centerboard line pipe. I have spectra line and when i bring the board back up (grunting) on a winch i can see my deck flex (jumping on it doesn't create any flex)... seeing as you can lift the board up by hand with the boat hauled, there's some serious friction somewhere. it's a new boat and i still haven't figured out if this is because the piping is ripped up by the old wire hoist.

but the cb is awsome upwind. i just kept up with a beneteau 36.7 with worn racing sails and 4 people on the rail for them, and me solo. we were close hauled and i was surprised i could match point and speed for over 20min. had i been trimming i would be gone. my genoa is blown out and i won't make any comments on my batten less main with no roach and "really nice" leech twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey up - welcome to SN dude! I've been looking at tons of boats over the past year - and I have to say that the N/M 45 is my favorite. I'm sure it has its issues - but that is just a cool freakin' boat.

I saw one go for less than $30K a few months ago in Florida. It needed work - but was a great deal from what I could see. Killed me that I wasn't ready to buy at that point.

After that, I decided to charter instead of buy right now and try out as many boats as I can. But what a classic!

Are they comfortable for extended cruising? And how much of a pain was the cb? That's always a big question mark for me.
Old 09-03-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey wru - welcome to SN dude. And thanks for the reply. I wonder if someone like Jeff_H has some insight on that cb friction issue?

But that performance you point out is exactly what makes me love this boat. How would you rate the comfort?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40