Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010

XTR is on a distinguished road
I haven't been on a N/M 45 but all of the pictures that I see the cockpit looks small and shallow. Is that impression correct?

How's the room in there? Can 4 adults be comfortable in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2010

wrublewski is on a distinguished road
easily, the cockpit is large enough to have 6 adults eat dinner around the table.
Old 08-13-2010

used N/M main sail

Hello,

Does anyone have a second main lying around they want to get rid of? I'm looking for a used main.
Old 10-20-2010

DeltaZulu is on a distinguished road
I lived on 1983 model for 3 years. I had the floor sag problem. But man what a sailing machine! Most other boats only get a view of the stern of a N/M 45. I have never slept better than I did in that centerline aft berth. As I recall, the hull and deck were fully core with klegecel, which is supposed to be stiffer that airex. It made for a nice cool, quiet interior. The only thing I really didn't like was how shallow the cockpit was. Other than that, she was a great boat!
Old 02-04-2011

NewBaySailor is on a distinguished road
45' Morgan for Sale

Here's a link for a beautiful 45' Morgan for sale at a fantastic price: 1983 Morgan - NelsonMarek N/M 45 sailboat for sale in Michigan

Check it out.
Old 03-28-2011

cedoyle is on a distinguished road
Mast issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP719 View Post
I've recently purchased a 1983 N/M 45' and while we had a great time delivering it from Lake Erie to Lake Michigan I just noticed a "settling" in the main cabin floor near the forward head. In "cedoyle's" posting he mentioned a mast issue. I was wondering what the problem was and what was the fix. Any info anyone could forward to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
VP719
A couple things about the N/M and her IOR hull. She's flat on the bottom...so what happens is when the mast is compressing down she tends to flex a bit. You can do a couple things the offset this issue. Make a tie to deck from mast base to mast ring with a piece of rod riggiing the same size as the standing rigging or a bit larger. When the mast compresses it then tries to compress deck at bulkhead. Second you can remove mast and floor as I did and completely rebuild the mast step. I had to do this because of some water found its way into the step softening it. I also tied my mast base into the grid system so the compression is distributed throughout the hull as it should have been. If you go the the route that I did it a lot of work but it addressed the problem completly. I contacted an old Morgan Engineer and was told that this is what they did on the raciing versions to eliminate the issue. The real problem was that the grid system was not made high enough at the mast base to take the compressions on a flat hull.....after thousands of cycles the grid would actually start to break their tabs. But again this only happened on the racing versions of the boats.
Old 04-11-2011

Different Versions

I'm going to be listing my boat for sale soon and I'm trying to decide which version is my boat. It was built in 1984 (from the manuals) but sold as a 1985 N/M Catalina Morgan.

The boat is drastically different than some of the other N/M Morgan 45's I've now compared it to. (Sugar scoop stern, Larger cockpit, dedicated shower in fwd head, smaller steering pedestal housing in aft berth, fwd facing nav station, ss companion ladders, no walk-through to aft head from saloon, larger side windows in salon, different mast, different mast step, compression stay to deck from mast step, better use of space, ect.).

I have only good things to say about the boat as I've now lived on it for 2 years but the stories I hear from other owners are positive but with tons of repairs to things that are in very good condition on this model. Seems that all the issues were fixed in this version.
Old 06-18-2011

deepwatersailor is on a distinguished road
Hi, all -

I realize that this is a rather old thread... but you folks should have waited to start it until I bought my NM45. Yep, I'm a proud (very proud!) new owner of one; love it to death despite the standard raft of problems that you inherit when you buy an older boat. [shrug] Life is like that, and I've been living aboard and sailing for over 20 years now.

If there's any complaint that I do have about it, it's something that's already been mentioned: a lack of stowage space. Not so much for the big stuff - although that would be nice too - but the absence of little drawers and cabinets (I've been spoiled by living aboard a 34' Dutch-built steel ketch... I'd need a 60' boat to get that much easy stowage!) Guess I'll have to build a few things, bookshelves primarily...

Other than that - well, a passage down Delaware Bay at 11.5 knots (7.5 through the water) was a real convincer if I needed one. Oh, and surfing down waves? I was whooping it up like a little kid on my first rollercoaster ride: it was like steering a 12' dinghy! I swear, I had tears of joy in my eyes while re-learning how to steer her the way she likes it.

Looking forward to a whole lot of sleigh rides -

Ben
Old 12-03-2011

sabre28sailor is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone, we would like to introduce ourselves. We are new owners of a 1983 Nelson Marek 45 just upgraded from a Sabre 28 as our name indicates. Reading the entire post, it appears we picked up where MikeGC left off since we bought his boat! We trucked her to Lake Ontario just in time to winterize her! It may be the first time she has ever been winterized! She is one complicated lady - we are learning as we go. We are interested in sharing information, pictures and sea stories. Can't wait for ice out - oh wait it hasn't iced UP yet!
Old 12-27-2011

nilso85 is on a distinguished road
anyone looking into buying a NM '44 maybe? currently at the island of Curacao, well equiped ship..worth try through this forum enjoy the sailing!

Doe-het-zelf Jachtmakelaar

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.