Morgan 41 Out Island and Blue Water - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-11-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Morgan 41 Out Island and Blue Water

I'm about a quarter the way through Earl Hinz book on sailing the Pacific on his Morgan and a question came to mind. I wondered how may here have taken their Morgan on an extended sail. Like 30 days and longer. Anyone here have blue water experience with their Morgan?

Capt'n Tom Living Aboard 50/50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-27-2015

Re: Morgan 41 Out Island and Blue Water

Check out "beta centauri" Morgan out Island the circumnavigated

Beta Centauri the voyager of Hadar | sailing documentary sailing videos sailboat videos sailing films

I think most Morgan OI's have gone on extended sails! They're perfect for the bahamas and carribean!
tomperanteau likes this.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-29-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

I've bought that movie, and thanks for the suggestion. I think you're right about most Morgans.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.
post #4 of 31 Old 11-30-2015

I have a OI for 9years. Been all over the gulf. Just go. You will have a blast!
tomperanteau likes this.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-30-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Yea, our plans are to tour the South Pacific. The finishing touches are that our arch will be installed this week, along with the cabinet maker finishing his work and the cutlass being replaced. Then the shakedowns begin!

S/V Footprints

Youtube

post #6 of 31 Old 10-30-2016

I own Searose, an OI 41 hull #212. I sailed here to Hawaii from Florida in 1993, thru the canal, then non-stop to Hilo. In April 2015 I left for Papeete. 28 days later, arrival. 2015 saw me on the 'Rose for 5 months in French Polynesia. I spent one month on her in 2016. She's currently in Apataki Carenages, awaiting my return in January 2017. Hope to see you in FP! Richard
tomperanteau likes this.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-30-2016

I was going to buy a 41 Out Island four years ago, however, after determining that most of my trips would be single handed, I opted for the 33 Out Island, which I lived aboard for six months when I sailed it from the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay to Marathon Key Florida. The boat sails beautifully, even in the roughest weather, it's built like a tank, and despite some critics claiming it's a slow boat, in reality it sails just as fast of most other boats of the same size and configuration.

One of the great things about the Out Island series is the spaciousness of the interior and cockpit. It truly is a cruiser's boat, and I have not found another boat that handles as well in foul weather. I'm sure there is one, but I have not been aboard it.

Good luck,

Gary
tomperanteau likes this.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-30-2016
Master Mariner

I have sailed a dozen or so OI 41's in the VI, as they were the bareboat of choice back when.
But the non-stop delivery I did from Great Inagua to St. Thomas directly into the trade winds was not a very pleasant trip.
This was a brand new boat, built for a private owner, and it had all the bells and whistles, but the owner just couldn't handle the offshore stuff.
In the islands and off the wind, I was very happy with the performance of the OI 41, but once you put her nose into a 25 knot trade wind and 8 to 12' seas, it was a completely different story. The athwartship bunk aft was unusable. At times I wondered if she could take days of slamming into those seas (we actually had lifejackets out and a ditch bag ready) but she did, though I wonder how much that delivery shortened her life.
The OI 41 was primarily designed as a shoal draft vessel for sailing the out islands of the Bahamas and I would keep that in mind if I was looking for a boat to go offshore or circumnavigate. Yeah, I know this person or that has done it all in an OI 41, and Hunters have circumnavigated as well. Heck, even Warram cats have done it, and they are held together with lashings.
There are a lot of more recently designed boats out there which would be more comfortable and better suited for serious offshore sailing, IMO.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #9 of 31 Old 10-31-2016

Capta,

How about providing some brand names of those boats you think are better than the Morgan 41 for offshore sailing. Granted, my 33 doesn't point well with just a 100 percent jib, but I'm sure it would do better with a 150. I watched a Tartan heel to the rails while I was at 10 degrees on the same course with the same winds. There was a guy there with a Catalina 30 that did the same thing. I'm comfortable and dry with 30 MPH winds while others near me are getting doused with spray as they dive into the waves. We were all sailing at the same speed. Is there something that I am missing?

Gary
post #10 of 31 Old 10-31-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Capta,

How about providing some brand names of those boats you think are better than the Morgan 41 for offshore sailing. Granted, my 33 doesn't point well with just a 100 percent jib, but I'm sure it would do better with a 150. I watched a Tartan heel to the rails while I was at 10 degrees on the same course with the same winds. There was a guy there with a Catalina 30 that did the same thing. I'm comfortable and dry with 30 MPH winds while others near me are getting doused with spray as they dive into the waves. We were all sailing at the same speed. Is there something that I am missing?

Gary
Gary, I have absolutely no experience at all with the OI33, so I can't discuss it with any authority. I don't remember even being aboard one. By the way, there are three here in St George's Harbor in various states of disrepair, if you know anyone seeking one.
As for suggesting specific manufacturers of boats of a more modern and suitable design than the OI41, I just haven't sailed that many. I kind of moved up in size (70 foot and above until retirement) after leaving the charter scene in the VI.
It is my personal preference to have a boat with more draft than the OI41 (4.2 feet) and a bit more modern underbody with a full skeg hung rudder for offshore sailing. Roller furling on all sails would also be a necessity IMO, and I doubt that it would be cost effective to put inmast on an OI41.
Many of the more modern boats have a much better use of space and I would consider them much more livable. I especially like the way the more modern boats have improved the comfort in the forward cabin by replacing the V-berth with a more rectangular bunk. Also, I am not a fan of athwartship aft cabin bunks.
I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who could suggest more modern boats in the 40 foot range that they have had good experiences with at sea, but the OP asked for comments (from experience) on the OI41, not a list of alternatives and that was what I gave him.
Sorry.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.