Morgan 22? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Question Morgan 22?

Hello everyone. not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm thinking about purchasing my first sailboat which the owner has said is a morgan 22. but after some internetting the pictures that were posted vs the layout i found on sailboatdata.com don't appear to be matching up. was hoping someone could help me out with a yea or nay on if it indeed a morgan 22. thanks everyone. files below.
Attached Thumbnails
morgan_22_drawing.jpg   00s0s_9YvYfacoGAz_600x450.jpg   00707_bnz5dadBEzV_600x450.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Re: Morgan 22?

Also the owner stated that it is "1972 Morgan 22'. Hull #115" but from what i understand production was stopped in 71.
post #3 of 7 Old 3 Days Ago
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhhbang View Post
Also the owner stated that it is "1972 Morgan 22'. Hull #115" but from what i understand production was stopped in 71.
Hi
That's definitely a 22 but dont be surprised the layouts are different they sold some of those boats with kit interiors . Hull registration was just getting systemized. There are a bunch of us with Morgan 24/5's each has a slightly different interior!. Does you hull have a registration plate/stamp or is it registered from a glass "tatoo" (hand notation in glass)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to oysterman23 For This Useful Post:
uhhhbang (2 Days Ago)
post #4 of 7 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
Hi
That's definitely a 22 but dont be surprised the layouts are different they sold some of those boats with kit interiors . Hull registration was just getting systemized. There are a bunch of us with Morgan 24/5's each has a slightly different interior!. Does you hull have a registration plate/stamp or is it registered from a glass "tatoo" (hand notation in glass)?
Thanks oyster! yes sir the registration says Morgan. Can't wait to get it on the water but got some cleaning and painting to do first!
post #5 of 7 Old 2 Days Ago

I can't definitively say whether that is a Morgan 22 since there were a number of similar boats in that era. (A side profile view would help a lot.) But if it is a Morgan 22, they were one of the nicer swing keel boats of that era. They sailed well, were pretty fast, rated well, and seemed to be well behaved in a range of conditions.

One thing to check is the swing keel lifting mechanism. I may be remembering this incorrectly and may be thinking of a different boat, but my recollection is that there was a plastic link rod in the lift system and that rod went through a packing gland of some kind and that this rod could fail. My recollection is that some boats replaced that rod with SS or bronze dowels which pretty much were permanent.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
uhhhbang (2 Days Ago)
post #6 of 7 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I can't definitively say whether that is a Morgan 22 since there were a number of similar boats in that era. (A side profile view would help a lot.) But if it is a Morgan 22, they were one of the nicer swing keel boats of that era. They sailed well, were pretty fast, rated well, and seemed to be well behaved in a range of conditions.

One thing to check is the swing keel lifting mechanism. I may be remembering this incorrectly and may be thinking of a different boat, but my recollection is that there was a plastic link rod in the lift system and that rod went through a packing gland of some kind and that this rod could fail. My recollection is that some boats replaced that rod with SS or bronze dowels which pretty much were permanent.

Jeff
Thanks Mr. Jeff here's a better profile of the boat. I went ahead and bought it. got alot of work ahead of me
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0281.jpg  
post #7 of 7 Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhhbang View Post
Thanks Mr. Jeff here's a better profile of the boat. I went ahead and bought it. got alot of work ahead of me
That sure looks like a Morgan 22 to me. Good luck with her.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.