Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
Awesome, glad to hear there's so many Morgans, and especially M30s as old as mine still out there. Particularly glad to hear that Kim & Ray are Florida/Bahamas cruising, as that's exactly where I'm headed in the fall. If I spot you guys in port, I'll be sure to dinghy over so we can compare notes.

Ray in Miss: for the first two years I owned the boat the c/b was stuck up in the slot by an overgrowth of barnacles, but I also found that pointing ability was good without the board (though you do have to plan for a lot of leeway.) Now that the board is fixed though ... oh baby, she tracks and tacks like a dream!

Windermere, it may just be that you bumped the release lever for the board. I've done that on mine, it's just a pawl on gear that disengages pretty easily. If you can crank the handle and the board comes back up, you're probably fine.

Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2007

jcb47769 is on a distinguished road
M35

Just bought Peregrine, 1970 Morgan 35 hull # 54
Old 08-09-2007
mxsailor

mxsailor@mac.com is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mxsailor@mac.com
Talking Two boat owner

Have an O/I 33, 1973 #33 and N/M 43, 1987. Can't get enough!
Old 09-01-2007

keforion is on a distinguished road
Post Another 45 coming back

We have just aquired a Morgan 45, (built by Starrett & Jenks according to the prior owner) I love the design and as she has been out of the water for the last ten years at least, she is in remarkably good condition -- no blisters, osmosis or soft spots. We will barrier-coat with epoxy before launch. The interior is unfinished (just what I wanted -- I have my own plans, so it's nice to start with a nearly empty hull)

So far we have removed the engine and are converting the bilge to integral water tanks. Many of the floor timbers had rotted. All are rplaced with new wood and lots of glass and epoxy. The engine will NOT be replaced. The rudder aperture will be closed. She will be a sailboat.

I am curious as to her exact type. She is called a Morgan 45 -- 45'8" LOA, 25,000 lb displ, 11,000 lb ballast (NOT a centerboarder) She has an aft cockpit and relatively low coachroof with a curious shape viewed from above -- rather wide at the cockpit and aft end, then it swoops in to a long narrow and low profile ending for'd the mast.

The hull shape is nearly classic, stem raked for'd about 45o, long deep keel with attached rudder, counter stern with the transom NOT on backwards, although it is a bit upright as C Morgan apparently liked.

She is a yawl, wheel steered. The rigging is 3/8" 1x19 on 5/8" t'b'kles.

She was masthead rigged ala CCA with a roller furling Genoa, high main boom, permanent backstay, etc. Mainmast head is about 54' above the water.

I was a bit leary about buying her, having read the review by Jeff H. But I am a director and don't believe in taking critics too seriously. My instincts in just looking at her is that she could be a real witch, especially if rigged properly and that awful hole in her rudder fixed.

We plan to re-rig her along modern lines. (Actually these are old practices, prior to the influences of CCA, RORC, IOR and other stupid rules) To wit: a taller mast (about 60') 7/8 rig, so the mast can be bent to change the camber of the upper part, spreaders swept aft about 30o to take most of the backstay load, the masts move for'd about 24" to leave the chainplates where they are, the forestay goes through the deck about 5' aft the stemhead and terminates belowdeck on the keel/stem structure.

This should keep the balance about the same, the CE a bit more for'd. the CLR a bit more aft, so the tendency to weather helm I've read about should be reduced.

My other boat is an International One Design (IOD) on San Francisco Bay. This will help to explain my tastes, perhaps.

Looking for'd to hearing from other 45 owners.

Oh, ... she is being re-built at Salt Creek Marina, St Petersburg, Florida, in view of the old Starret&Jenks Building where she started life. And she apparently had a rudder post problem like that mentioned by other owners, but that whole area was completely re-constructed by the Salt Creek guys before I bought her.

We hope to get wet within the next six months.

Hope to hear from you.

K E & J S Froeschner

ORION

Update as of April 2008:

The interior structural work is done and all of the new cabinet furniture structure is built. The prop aperature is closed and the rudder is being re-built with about 8" more chord. (We have heard that the original was a bit squirrelly downwind and the original rudder does look rather small to almost all eyes.) With the prop hole filled, the rudder enlarged and the CE a bit farther for'd I think she will work well.

We lowered the cabin sole in the galley area so it matches the for'd salon, giving a much greater feeling of space below. (No need for it to be as high as it was as the engine is GONE!)

The space beneath the cabin sole is now almost entirely water tanks. (at least 200 gal.)

The work is being done by Robert Hailey of Elan Yacht Services, wh we highly recommend.

I want to cover the decks in wood. And since the interior is being done in American Black Walnut Burl (which I scored cheap here in California) I thought it might be nice to keep her "all American" and do the decks in White Oak. Eoxied down with West's new E-Glas perhaps? I have heard of problems with oak and epoxy and am a little concerned that it's shrinkage/swelling rate with moisture is a bit higher than teak. Any experience out thete?

Thanks again for a great Forum.

keforion

Last edited by keforion; 04-28-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: news update
Old 09-04-2007

jcollyar is on a distinguished road
I have a '69 Morgan 41 K/CB hull # 30. Bought the boat in Nov "90 and did a total rebuild. My wife and I have take her around the race course here in NC collecting a bit of silver but she really shows her stuff offshore. Four trips to the Bahamas and another scheduled in November. No finer offshore sailing boat made. Thank You Charlie!!
Old 09-05-2007

jayswave is on a distinguished road
Morgan 34 ???

I'm taking the plunge and buying a bigger boat. I haven't heard much about the Morgan 34 but I'm thinking of looking at one next week. From what I can see she is a beautiful boat. Is there anything I should know about her. My other choices are Pearson Vanguard and Luders 33. I have a small family and the quarter berths seem appealing and I think the keel stepped mast is a good choice in the older boats. Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-30-2007

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Hey JCOLLYAR, you have a web page I could look at? Been pondering the old sloop (couldn't pay me to have an OI) and like the looks of the late 60/early 70's 41. So you like it for offshore? Been further than the Bahamas yet?
Old 10-01-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Captain Force & the Space Cadet

My wife and I moved aboard a new Morgan OI 33' in 1973 and traded it for our 1973 41' Morgan OI ketch in 1985. Our kids kept growing so we needed the space. We are retired now and cruising fulltime. Living aboard Morgans for 35 years and enjoying life. We're spending most of our time between Maine and the Bahamas.
Here'e our photo that we were proud to have Charley sign:

'take care and joy,-Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 11-28-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2007

neil36 is on a distinguished road
Just purchased an 82 416 tall rig...love the room (previous boat was an HR30). Moved it up to Ontario/Canada from Florida....will need to wait for next season to get better aquainted. Our 3 younge boys think it's a floating jungle gym.
Old 11-19-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Anyone with links or personal experience with the Morgan 44 CC sloop?