Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008

deryk is on a distinguished road
Cool

Hello Folks,

Well Sunday May 18th Im buying a 1969 Morgan 34. She needs some work but all in all for a gal her age she isnt looking that bad. A coat of paint to hide the fading gel coat and time to sand down the teak and revarnish. I got an email back from Charley Morgan becuase the pulley is all rusted up and figured he would have a good source for a replacement..... Will Wright at JSI, PH. = 727-577-3220 Im going to Take alot of pictures and make a website. I live aboard... and she is a bit more spacious then my Watkins 27. I cant wait to start working on her lol. Ive got 2 years on her, so I figure we are gonna be together for a while. Its nice not haveing coreing issues and haveing a rock solid hull.

talk to ya's soon

deryk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2008

triton185 is on a distinguished road
Hi Keforion,

It's been a while since I have been on this site. Thanks for the reply. I would like to know more about your work as I have recently purchased the same boat. Do you ever check out the Plastic Classic Forum. They have lots of people who know a lot about boat construction.
Old 06-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by keforion View Post
The interior structural work is done and all of the new cabinet furniture structure is built. The prop aperature is closed and the rudder is being re-built with about 8" more chord. (We have heard that the original was a bit squirrelly downwind and the original rudder does look rather small to almost all eyes.) With the prop hole filled, the rudder enlarged and the CE a bit farther for'd I think she will work well.

We lowered the cabin sole in the galley area so it matches the for'd salon, giving a much greater feeling of space below. (No need for it to be as high as it was as the engine is GONE!)
Hi, It would sure be good to see some pictures of the work on the interior and the project in general. I have just aquired the same boat.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2008

evasion is on a distinguished road
Did you know that the first boat to go in Communism country was a Morgan OI 41 !?

In fact, "Evasion" cross succesfully Atlantic in 1984 to reach Russia, survive a perfect storm in middle of winter in Meditéranée on is way back to Canada. Got all the articles, but it's in french.

Curently sailing Évasion on St-Lawrence river, Quebec
Old 06-29-2008

Hello....my mother tongue is French. I would love to read these if you are able to send them to me.

Tankyou
Old 07-11-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 36T One-Ton IOR racer

I've got one of the old race horses. Pinched transom so small I can barely get her name and hailing port. Not quite standing headroom. (I'm 6'0"). Not much in the way of accommodations, but I'm slowly fixing that. Right now I've got the interior pretty much gutted.

One thing about her...she can still show her transom to some of the modern boats when the wind picks up. I sit in the cockpit and laugh when the wind gets to 15 knots and all of the modern boats start furling their sails, taking reefs, etc. (Of course, we're talking about intrepid Jacksonville sailors who are afraid of heeling over.)

Anyway, like all of Charley's boats, she's built like a brick outhouse. Yeah, she had blister problems, but then, every boat of her vintage did.

Since the budget for her refit is tight, it's taking me a lot of time. When I'm finally finished, though, she should be good to do a little 'friendly' racing or a week's cruise here and there. I'm adding a few things to make her more comfortable and usable like refrigeration to replace the huge, but nearly uninsulated ice box, a two burner propane cook top to replace the smelly alcohol stove-oven (which also weighed a ton!), and maybe even air conditioning for when she's tied up at a dock somewhere. (Budget...).

Anyway, she's fun to sail, easy to balance, tracks well, and doesn't care how hard its blowing (within reason...20 knots is okay by me).
Attached Thumbnails
What's your Morgan?-img_1841-very-small.jpg  
Old 07-17-2008

Twoowls is on a distinguished road
Smile Morgan 30

My Morgan is Rebel, KK 336, built in 1972. Any one know of port replacements, please let me know. Would prefer opening ones for the forward four.
Old 09-16-2008
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Morgan 36T One Ton (built in 1973)

Draws 7.5 feet. Old Atomic 4 gas engine. Old sails but she is still fast.
Gary1 your description says it all.
This is my 2nd year sailing her. I sail on Long Island Sound out of Port Jefferson, Long Island NY.

Last edited by MorganPaul; 09-16-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2008

Twoowls is on a distinguished road
Smile Rebel-Morgan30

All of the original sail plans, for hull #336. I was fortunate to know Al Pertner, one of Charley's workers many years ago. Great boat. Would take it around the world if I could get it out of Lake Lanier. More sails than I can use. Keep in touch.
Mike
Old 10-30-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Morgan 30

I recently purchased a 1971 Morgan 30. Generally, she is in very good condition (and looks terrific). After reading posts and other information, my only real concern is how long the centreboard will keep working!

The only major problem to date has been the old CDI furler which fell apart the first time we tried to use it. After taking advice, I replaced it with a new CDI (plastic foil). Budget considerations were foremost in this decision, but so far I have been delighted with it.

The worst feature of the boat was the plumbing which had ancient pipes, a new pump feeding only the shower and a water heater which was more than past its sell-by date. I have replaced everything. I used taps from Lowes, Pex pipe and fittings from the same source and an Eemax water heater from Ebay.

Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
What's your Morgan?-selene-fh-4.jpg  

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?