Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Morgan 45?

I'm not sure whether our boat counts as a Morgan or not. Her hull was Morgan-designed and about 12 of them were laid-up, or whatever the term is for producing a fibreglass hull, 1976-1979. The boats were built at the Starrett & Jenks yard in Florida.
Enchantress' is 45' 10 '' on deck with a beam of 11 ft and a draft of 6' 1 ''. She is sloop-rigged but has running backstays so she can also sail as a cutter. For a heavy boat (25,000) she sails very well in light air. Last week we were out in 5-10 kts and she was doing over 6 kts at times. With here narrow beam she heals easily but her draft and weight make her really steady.
We spend last year pretty much rebuilding her (electrics, engine, plumbing, new head, refrigeration, cushions, etc.) But this year we've been out just about every weekend since she was launched in mid-April.
We are in Herrington Harbour South Marina in Friendship, MD (near Chesapeake Beach and Deale) on the Chesapeake Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2009

jeanfrancoissavard is on a distinguished road
I just bought a out island 41 1972. finding some rot in the decks...might be a major job.. anybody has experienced that problem with theirs?
Old 06-11-2009

jeanfrancoissavard is on a distinguished road
i have a 41 out island 1972. Just recently found some rot in her decks..thanks to the old owners...anybody experience this situation with theirs?
Old 06-17-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
I
We are in Herrington Harbour South Marina in Friendship, MD (near Chesapeake Beach and Deale) on the Chesapeake Bay.
Your boat sounds like a beauty, especially with all the work you have done on her. We are based in Flag Harbour MD (somewhere between you and Solomons) with our '71 Morgan 30. We mainly cruise on the Eastern Shore.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 06-17-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanfrancoissavard View Post
I just bought a out island 41 1972. finding some rot in the decks...might be a major job.. anybody has experienced that problem with theirs?
This is not an uncommon problem with any old fibreglass boat. If you search the forums, you will find details of other people's experiences dealing with this issue. Or you could post this query on one of the more widely read forums (eg "Gear and Maintenance") and get a flood of responses!

A lot depends on the extent of the rot. if it is localised, then it may not be too much of a problem. However, if more extensive, then it could be a big job.....

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 06-21-2009

Donnie631 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I bought a 30ft Morgan and I will pick her up mid July due to work and school I dont know much about her but we will be on the Severn River in MD for the summer I am looking foward to getting out and meeting some new people as I am realtivly new to sailing I will get the hull number when i get back down there.
Old 07-07-2009

thom0951 is on a distinguished road
just bought a 1980 51 outisland put a bunch of money into it already but she is now ready to go sailing again thom
Old 07-13-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Tiger Cub

My Morgan Tiger Cub was made in 1966. She's one of Charlie's first designs and he sold the rights early on. I just purchased her in February and haven't had as much time as planned to sail. Then, on the first sail in a good breeze I noticed a broken spreader! Second coat of varnish goes on the new spreaders today.

She's been fun to sail, so far; looking forward to more sailing and the future projects!

DB
Old 07-13-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah,

Here's a few pictures:

The Tiger Cub is 28.5" Charlie thinks only 6 or 8 were made before he sold the design.

DB

Last edited by Dirtboy; 10-31-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2009

FreidaB is on a distinguished road
Heritage West Indies 38

I inherited my fathers Morgan about 3 years ago. She is a 1976 38' Heritage Yacht Co. West Indies Model. A lot of people stop and ask if it is a 41' O/I, they all have fond memories of chartering this boat in the Caribbean, and we explain that she is a West Indies. My husband and I had no real experience sailing before and our FriedaB has been an excellent teacher. To my knowledge she has always been in fresh water. My father sailed her from Chicago to the Apostle Islands about 14 years ago.
I have not been able to find out much information about our boat though. We are still finding gadgets we have no idea what they are for!? My father said the keel is over 9,000 lbs. but last weekend while sitting in the cockpit, I said, I really want to know what the hell this little lever and socket is for! So down below we went. My husband took of a panel and we found a pulley system. It leads to the bilge and apparently to the keel? We thought it was for either a retractable system(which doesn't make sense-it looks like a fixed keel) or a counter weight system?? So if anyone knows please let us know! And if anyone knows where we can find out other info, please let us know!
Thanks so much! I love looking at all the other Morgans out there!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.