Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009

thom0951 is on a distinguished road
hi ihave a 1980 51 which i am fixing up..there are some morgan people still around i believe and i was told that charlie morgan has a web site try there..it seem catalina bought out morgan moulds that maybe another place to try good luck and happy sailing thom and tanis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2009

Stardate2010 is on a distinguished road
My Morgan S&J 45

Hi,
Have a S&J 45. Perkins 4-108, .8gal/hr @ 3000rpm w/18x14 prop@ hull speed; Yawl rigged, center cockpit, sleeps 6 easily, oversized rigging, 44k gross w/25k lead full keel, 6' draft. Plan to do a circumnavigation within the next couple of years or as soon as I retire + 6mos. Tampa Bay based, but working in warzones of the world now.
Old 08-29-2009

thom0951 is on a distinguished road
hi i am presently thinking of taking my 51 to morehead city and putting it up for sale ,.have been very unlucky finding people to sail with..keep in touch if u need crew to help thom
Old 08-29-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=FreidaB;514281] We are still finding gadgets we have no idea what they are for!? My father said the keel is over 9,000 lbs. but last weekend while sitting in the cockpit, I said, I really want to know what the hell this little lever and socket is for! So down below we went. My husband took of a panel and we found a pulley system. It leads to the bilge and apparently to the keel? We thought it was for either a retractable system(which doesn't make sense-it looks like a fixed keel) or a counter weight system?? So if anyone knows please let us know! And if anyone knows where we can find out other info, please let us know!QUOTE]

I assume that what you have discovered is almost certainly the lifting and lowering mechanism for your centerboard! My Morgan 30 has a similar arrangement. If you lift the floorboards/access panel in the main cabin you should be able to see the operating rod. A cable is attached to this and runs via various pulleys to a little "winch" in the cockpit. The centerboard itself is a metal blade that sits inside a slot in the keel when it is up. It has quite and effect when it is down, discouraging leeward drift, increasing stability in a beam sea and improving the ability of the boat to point up to windward.

Hope this helps

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 08-31-2009

FreidaB is on a distinguished road
Re: Morgan Centerboard-There is slack in the cables. We did find the pulley system and can see where it runs into the keel through the bilge. We believe our boat did not come with the centerboard. The keel is supposedly filled with lead. Being that our boat is one of the few that does not rock while in port we don't doubt this theory. The boat is horrible at pointing up in light winds! But we appreciate the stability the keel provides so at this point are not concerned with installing the centerboard. In light winds we are generally motor sailing anyways. Our marina friends love to laugh at how the Morgans can't point up, but now I can inform them as to why. And while they are all reefing down in 20 knot winds we are the ones laughing as we cruise on by...Thank you for the information; we love learning all we can about these wonderful Morgans. BTW we have had better luck pointing up by using the Genoa and the mainsail.
Old 01-01-2010

Planb835 is on a distinguished road
We have a 1974 33' O/I that we keep in Oriental, NC. Very nice boat. Boat was virtually rebuilt by the previous owner. Our present project is a new bimini.
Old 02-03-2010

Edboat is on a distinguished road
We have a 69 Morgan 30 and a 70 Morgan 35. Almost finished rebuilding the 35.
Old 02-09-2010

emtpaaron is on a distinguished road
Morgan M27

Just bought a 1971 M27 hull #38 with the atomic 4. Gonna be a fun project!
Old 02-07-2011

wm1999 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 30/2

We just purchased a '73 30/2 fin keel 11'3" beam 5'3" draft Universal 25hp diesel. Now the fun starts!
Old 02-08-2011
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Well, if you have as much fun as I've had over the past two and a half years with my Morgan 30, then it will be worth every cent and every long hour!

Enjoy

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.