Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012
s/v Juju

JudyM is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Paul,
That's what someone told me... Hmmm. Clearly I need to research more! No discharge? Would you tell me more specifics on make/model you are referring to?

Popeye,
Yes, interiors vary wildly on SJ's, but your much later year must be a Catalina made Morgan-45? Or is that Nelson-Merrick? Love to see pics! I saw a YouTube video of someone's Catalina Morgan-45 that was for sale and it was a gloriously plush and roomy inside yacht!

Thx.
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyM View Post
Paul,
That's what someone told me... Hmmm. Clearly I need to research more! No discharge? Would you tell me more specifics on make/model you are referring to?

Popeye,
Yes, interiors vary wildly on SJ's, but your much later year must be a Catalina made Morgan-45? Or is that Nelson-Merrick? Love to see pics! I saw a YouTube video of someone's Catalina Morgan-45 that was for sale and it was a gloriously plush and roomy inside yacht!

Thx.
J

Sure both the AirHead and Natures Head are completely self contained. One of the advantages is that you can close up at least one thru-hul.

Air Head Dry Toilet: Marine Composting Toilets - Environmentally Friendly Marine Composting Toilet System

Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!

C-Head seems to be a more inexpensive option. It does not look quite as compact as the others, but it is about half price. It also looks a bit more "thrown together" but appears functional.

C-Head portable composting toilets

You can build one yourself too, but I have never seen one that looks really nice, or as easy to operate.
Old 12-10-2012

greyinfl1234 is on a distinguished road
Re: S&J Morgan 45

Just bought a SJ 45 1 month ago, getting the bugs out nothing major. Sailed it home to clearwater 60 mi. cant wait to run down to the keys.
JudyM likes this.
Old 12-10-2012

Popeye21 is on a distinguished road

Grayinfl1234, what year & interior configuration? Any pics?
Old 12-13-2012
s/v Juju

Popeye -
Wow- Sun Song looks to be a beautiful ship. Great find. How's the restoration going? Love to see some pics. Her interior is so grand! I bet she's cleaning up to be a real beauty.

Best,
JudyM
Old 12-13-2012
s/v Juju

Miatapaul,
Thanks for the info on the compostable toilets! I'm researching those - seems like a good direction to go with since we don't have a good holding tank set up or a good space to put a bigger tank - maybe just step over that whole issue... I'll keep you posted.
Best,
JudyM
Old 12-19-2012

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keforion View Post

Azi: You have repeated an oft misunderstood myth about waterline and heeling. Don't feel bad -- even the magazine writers usually get this wrong. The one exception I remember is "Lee Helm" in Latitude 38 who explained it correctly. As follows, more or less. The overhangs are there because they do let the effective waterline get longer as they are immersed, HOWEVER, it is NOTdue to HEEL. Indeed if you heel any of the kind of boats we are talking about in still water and at rest, the waterline gets Shorter as the relatively stiff bilge is immersed. What actually happens is due to wavemaking and speed through the water. When a boat is moving at close to hull speed (1.4*sqrt(Lwl)) it creates a wave system with a deep trough about midships, crests at bow and stern. As a boat with long overhangs settles into this depression the effective waterline length increases because the long ends are now riding on the bow and stern waves. In our IOD, for example, the transom at the end of the counter is about two feet above the water and about five feet abaft the end of the resting Lwl. But at speed the transom is at the waterline and the whole of the counter overhang has become part of the submerged body of the boat. Same at the bow but to a lesser extent. The displacement remains the same because the midsection is no longer immersed as deeply due to the depression or trough of the induced wave.

To put it another way, the motion of the boat throught the water cuses the water surface to become bent in the region of the boat. A boat with long overhangs is designed to have a long and optimal form when sailing on this bent surface.

It has nothing to do with heel (except that sailboats generally do heel, when going fast,) the same thin happens going dead downwind with little or no heel.

OK, sorry for the rant -- I just would like to get the sailing community to get this right.
I disagree completely, It is ALL about heel, are you saying that if you could push your vessel at hull speed with only the motor and no sails that as you increased speed, the waterline would increase substantially due to the shape of the hull "sucking" down into the water from the speed increase? IMHO basic physics come into play and everyone knows that the faster you move through water, the harder it becomes therefore forcing the shape up (on top of the water in the case of a planing hull) rather than down. Sucking it down would increase displacement so much that it would DEcrease your hull speed, not INcrease it? Did I misunderstand your original statement?

On another note, how will you move your boat with no motor? especially through the ICW bridges or up to the marina dock to refill the fresh water tanks and empty the holding tanks Etc? Thats a big boat and takes a bit of room to manuver.
Old 12-20-2012

keforion is on a distinguished road

wkeenan78:

You either did not read correctly or did not understand. The hull is not "sucked down" and water does not "get harder." Neither concept has any basis in physics. Read C A Marchaj's 'Sailing Theory and Practice' if you are interested in the subject.
Old 12-20-2012

keforion is on a distinguished road

On composting toilets and Coast Guard approval. You do NOT need a commercial unit in order for it to be "Coast Guard Approved." As long as there is no discharge overboard there is no applicable regulation. The regulations and approvals concern overboard discharges. Once the worms have finished turning your waste into dirt it may be carried ashore and disposed of in a landfill. You will need to do this no more than once every few months, depending on the size of your system. Best is to have two containers, one currently in use, therefore kind of 'fresh,' the other set aside somewhere to finish the process before landside disposal.

We have no 'holding tank' but we did convert the bilges from the mast step area aft to the bulkhead just for'd of the c'way into three fresh water tanks. They were completely lined in fresh white fiberglas and epoxy and sealed over with permanent 3/4" mahogany ply floors. Access to each is by 8" deck-plates.

As to motors -- agreed that the way most harbours are laid out these days it will be difficult -- illegal in fact in some. But we sailed an IOD with no motor and had no problem docking etc. And sailors ave been doing it for centuries or millenia before engines were invented. We do plan an electric propulsion system but would rather not rely on it. And there are always oars. Far more reliable than diesel or other engines.
Old 02-02-2013
s/v Juju

Hi All,
We have a question for all you wonderful other SJ owners! Our SJ came to us with the rigging set up with baby running back stays (attached at the toe rail with at padeyes or slide eyes) located about two feet aft of the base of the shrouds and halfway down from the top of the mast to the cross trees. We are unsure of how these adjustable stays are to be used. Why are they positioned so close to the mast then what we're used to seeing? We've been told by some that at this location they help to straighten the mast when sailing to weather. But their so far up the mast? Maybe their used to support the staysail? Any input most welcome!
Best regards,
Judy + Kusuru

Last edited by JudyM; 02-06-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.