Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013

keforion is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Here are a few more pictures of 'Orion' showing her new transom, aft doghouse, windshield, halyard and other line tail bins, anchor hawsepipes and windlasses.
Attached Thumbnails
Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-pict2606.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-pict2609.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-pict2608.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-pict2612.jpg  
Solon likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013

thecrux is on a distinguished road

Hi Kerforion,

Nice work! I would sure like to see some other pictures of her transom from the perspective it would be viewed from on the water. I have been thinking of doing something simular to my Morgan 45.
Old 04-10-2013

Thecrux:

Thanks for the compliment. We also would love to see her derrier from the water. Alas, we are still on the hard. Hope to get wet by the end of the year. (Don't ask which year -- it's been too long already.)

kef
Old 04-10-2013

thecrux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keforion View Post
Thecrux:

Thanks for the compliment. We also would love to see her derrier from the water. Alas, we are still on the hard. Hope to get wet by the end of the year. (Don't ask which year -- it's been too long already.)

kef
I get how long it takes to do a project like yours.....I am in the middle of one myself. Well, if you can somehow shoot from someplace high in the meanwhile I am sure many of us would enjoy the view.
Old 04-15-2013

Talisman66 is on a distinguished road

I think spring has finally sprung in Wisconsin. What a long winter, last year March was in the 70's. this year Mid April and still in the 40's.

Anyway, I got a jump on this years projects; Move rudder post 52 inches aft, wind generator mount, solar mounts. The rudder is out, new hole location drilled, Rudder post mocked up, measurements taken, rudder moved to the shop indoors for added stainless skelital framing. Bronze tube at the machine shop to fit over rudder post.

Nice job on the aft transom.
s/v Talisman 1979 SJ45 #179
Old 05-13-2013

Talisman66 is on a distinguished road

Rudder relocation finished!
Attached Thumbnails
Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1968.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1967.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1966.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1962.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1863.jpg  

s/v Talisman 1979 SJ45 #179
Old 06-12-2013

Wow, Talisman! Major surgery ... and nicely done.

A bit of an update on Orion: The hawsepipes work beautifully. I scored a pair of 66lb Lewmar 'Bruce' anchors for $100 each from Defender and they suck right up into the pipes just as planned. The pipes are 6" Heavy wall (approx.1/2") grey PVC, epoxied into the hull and deck. I used the genoa winches -- the windlass/reels are not finished yet.

Our composting toilet works nicely as well. We did get a crop of gnats at one point, but a dose or two of diatomaceous earth fixed that. It is 'home-made' and cost about ten dollars. Could not see spending a k$ or so on one of the commercial units, although I do applaud them for breaking the ground, as it were, and encourage you who can afford it to support them. One of the leaders in this field has said, roughly, " There are two kinds of civilizations on this planet: those that sh** in their water supply and those that don't. We, in the West, are, unfortunately, one of the former."

I am now about to build the mast extension, graphite/epoxy over a wood substructure -- any advice?

The interior is coming along -- almost civilly habitable -- still need to run plumbing and electrical. We have been 'camping' aboard quite comfortably.
Old 06-12-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman66 View Post
Rudder relocation finished!
That is a major change. It might be helpful to other owners if you talk about what you did in more detail.

Normally, a change like that requires a whole lot of additional work to make it hyrdrodynamically effective and structurally stable. Normally, there is area added to the forward side of rudder forward of the rudder post to reduce the torsional loads on the rudder post and lighten steering forces now that the leading edge of the rudder is fully exposed.

Normally, structurally, bulkheads and knees are added where the rudder post comes into the boat. The rudder post normally needs to be much larger than before to withstand the side forces. (I know that you have that cantilevered weldment from the back of the keel to the bottom of the rudder, but its attachment suggests that its not designed to take the required side forces.)

It might be helpful if you explained how you addressed those kinds of issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Jeff.. there is a triangular section (widest at top) that looks like a balancing tab on the new rudder.. whether it proves to be adequate will quickly be discovered upon launch.

My brother had an early Ranger 28 years ago with a totally unbalanced rudder.. we lived in 'broach country' and that boat was a broach machine anyway, at one point he snapped a tiller handle in half.. The rudder had a vestigial skeg, we lopped a section of it off and attached it to the lower leading edge of the rudder. The difference under sail was remarkable, but we 'overdid' it and the propwash on the oversized tab made steering under power a bear. Still a decent tradeoff, but that 'balancing area' seems to be quite critical..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-12-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Jeff.. there is a triangular section (widest at top) that looks like a balancing tab on the new rudder.. whether it proves to be adequate will quickly be discovered upon launch.
Ron,

Thank you for your comment. I had noticed that there was some counter-balancing on the upper rudder.

My comments were not intended to imply that the items that I mentioned had not been done as a part of the work. My post was trying to suggest that Keforian explain how he handled these items so that other SJ owners who were considering a similar modification could understand what his thought process was and how he engineered some of these trickier items so that they could work those ideas into their thinking.

Further up the tread (post 115), there is another example of an SJ with a partial skeg and post hung rudder that was a lot closer in design to standard practice so I also thought it would be helpful to understand why keforian chose the geometry that he did.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-12-2013 at 02:36 PM.