Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010

MickHowk is on a distinguished road
Progress

Looks like you are making some good progress. I have put restoration on hold for the summer and am logging some sailing time. Made a good run to Egmount Key last weekend and spent a great two days on the water. It was about 60 miles round trip. Trying to get the boat out every weekend this summer. Will hall and do the bottom in October.
Mick s/v Mysti.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2010

Talisman66 is on a distinguished road
October '10 progress

The cabin top and cockpit areas are done, 99%! Still have to mount the Edson pods for autopilot and anchor windlass. I used Durabak Cream for non-skid and Alexseal Eggshell for topcoat. Installed 8x8 Bomar hatches in each head. Mounted the winches and hardware. Had our glass company cut 3/8 bronze tinted lexan for the companionway. Installed a teak 34 inch wheel, Ebay buy. Going to cut in 2 coaming boxes for storage, on order.

Below the waterline is done! fixed all blisters, removed original bronze seacocks. Patched most of them, installed Marelon seacocks, and a raw water intake manifold. Mediablasted the bottom, faired the hull and put 5 coats of 2000E on, 10 gallons. Paint the hull spring 2011, electronics, rigging...

Winterinzing in the next week or 2. Covering for winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1803.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1805.jpg   Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1806.jpg  
s/v Talisman 1979 SJ45 #179
Old 10-15-2010

MickHowk is on a distinguished road
Wow!

Wow, way wow. That looks absolutely beautiful.

I need to get to work...

Mick
Old 11-09-2010

Cockpit storage

Fabbed up some storage from 1/2 inch Starboard with handholds and a place for the E80.
Attached Thumbnails
Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-img_1807.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow! Nice work tal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-11-2010
SV. Syrena, Morgan 462

mzw is on a distinguished road
Nice!

I'm restoring a Morgan 462. My project is not as extensive as yours. I noticed that you went with a TAD rebuild. Which model engine do you have? I'm considering a Yanmar, but have not made a final decision.

You are doing a great job.
Happy sailing...
Old 11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzw View Post
I'm restoring a Morgan 462. My project is not as extensive as yours. I noticed that you went with a TAD rebuild. Which model engine do you have? I'm considering a Yanmar, but have not made a final decision.

You are doing a great job.
Happy sailing...
4-108. it was original to the boat. had TAD rebuild my engine.
Old 12-09-2010

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road
Hello fellow S&J 45 owners! I just wanted to drop in and add my name to the list of S&J 45 owners! I bought my S&J 45 9-23-10 from the original owner and am in love with her. Her name is currently Halunke, which means rascal or villain in german, we plan to rename her something more suited to us. She is a 1976 Starrett and Jenks 45', hull # 27. Her hull was built in St Pete FL and has a 12,000 lbs lead keel. The interior was custom built and installed by St Pete Yacht Design. All work was professionally completed and she was launched in the spring of 1978. She is the only factory finished S&J 45 that I know of. She has a sloop rig set up for single handing and holds a 492 sf main sail, and a 672 sf jib. Her drifter is also 672 sf. I have only sailed her once so far but was very pleased with her! I only had the main up in 13 knots of wind and was seeing a steady 5.3 to 5.7 knots on the GPS. Her little diesel engine is a Volvo-Penta MD-17c, 35 HP. She holds 205 gallons of fuel and 200 gallons of fresh water. All electronics are from 1984 and are now obsolete. I purchased a Garmin 440s chart plotter for her and am VERY impressed with it. I installed 2 group 27 house batteries and one group 27 battery for engine starting. She needs a paint job from top to bottom but is very sea-worthy.

To see a beautiful S&J 45, look up "restoration of Grace" on Google. Those guys did a top-notch job on her.

Does anyone know how much these S&J 45's sold for originaly?

MickHowk, Thanks for helping me set her mainsail for the first time, it was nice to have someone there who knew how her rig was setup. I still want to get together with you for a tour of Mysti and also show you the blueprints and other paper work I have for our fine vessels
Old 12-09-2010

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road
S&J 45 Ground tackle?

What are you guys using for ground tackle? I have a 45 lb CQR plow with 150' of 3/8 bbb chain, a 35 lb danforth with 20' of 3/8 bbb and 250' of 3/4" nylon rode, a little 22 lb danforth lunch hook with 20' of 5/16 bbb and 150' of 5/8" nylon rode, and just picked up a 65 lb danforth and 250' of 3/8 bbb. I have not used the new anchor and chain yet as I dont have a windlass... ... yet! I am not very impressed with the holding power of the CQR in our all sand bottom here in the Gulf, the danforth fluke style seem to hold much better. What are you guys using and in what type of bottom?
Old 12-09-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Just so you won't be too discouraged, I am sure that you know that seeing a steady 5.3 to 5.7 knots on the GPS in 13 knots of wind would qualify as painfully slow for a cruising 45 footer. You should be able to get a little better speed once you learn to sail your boat.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies