Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road
Huh? I thought that was pretty decent speed for only having the main up? She does do a bit better with the jib up.. now that I have all the bird poop and anchor chain mud off the deck. The jib is hank on and I didnt want to have to wash it after I drug it across the deck. The previous owner said 9.2 knots wasnt unusual but after all, he was trying to sell me a boat....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I'm sorry, I missed the part where you said that you only had the mainsail up. While 5.3 to 5.7 knots in 13 knots of air with only a mainsail is not a bad speed for a short waterline boat like the Starratt. Of course it would still be painfully slow for a normal 45 footer under mainsail.

You are right to be skeptical when the previous owner said 9.2 knots was not all that unusual. More realistically you should be able to sail at hull speed with both sails up in 13 knots of wind. Hull speed for the Starratt Jenk's roughly 31'-6" waterline length is around 7.5 knots. With a little heel and a solid breeze you might be able to do something like 8 knots through the water. 9.2 knots might happen momentarily in surfing conditions in a strong breeze.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 12-09-2010

What would not be painfully slow for a 45 footer with main only? And what kind of boat for comparison? My boat has done the Tampa Bay to Dry Tortugas trip 6 times according to the log. Each time it took 29 hours to get there and 30 hours to get back to the St Pete municipal marina. IDK how many NM that is exactly. That seems decent to me?
Old 12-09-2010

Talisman66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeenan78 View Post
Hello fellow S&J 45 owners! I just wanted to drop in and add my name to the list of S&J 45 owners!
Welcome! we need some pics...
s/v Talisman 1979 SJ45 #179
Old 12-09-2010

I dont know how to post pics on here.
Old 12-24-2010

Popeyensweetp is on a distinguished road
I am in the process of buying a 1977 s&j45 ketch, for the outragous price of 2500. us dollars. Yes she floats, yes she needs work, the mast is simply beautifull with in mast furling, great large winches, bags and bags of sails.

Old but still working electric windless, , down below is gutted for the most part, stove is there, sink, but the good thing is I can make it the way I like it. I have read the above posts, my thoughts are I simply love the lines of this boat, skinny long and thin, the way I like my woman.

Oh my the work ahead, but I enjoy it and drag my 13 y/o daughter to help. This is family thing but we like it. I hope to work and live aboard shortly, no we are not rushing of to sail to Never never land, but Cuba the Keys, & Mexico are within our budget and reach. I truly think she can be made to take us where we need to go with safety. Good dingy eprib and lifraft. Solid engine to motor when needed. anyway some call me crazy but I get things done and have fun doing it. So for a total of around 20,000 we will anchor next to the 200.00.00 dollar boats and we might have lunch together. If youhave youg boys onboard they are not wellcome haha have to be a good dad. Good luck to all, I have had just as much fun on my good ole Pearson Triton sailing into Havana Harbor, as I did crewing on a newer Hunter. Good luck to all and Merry Xmas

Popeye
Old 01-03-2011

hump180 is on a distinguished road
My dock neighbor has a morgan 45 with unfinished interior and a lead keel that he poured himself. I dont know how it happens with a short waterline but his boat spanks all of our boats every summer. We all make passages to the lake erie islands and the morgan does the 32 mile trip 4 hour or less and the rest of us 34-38 footers pull in after 5-6 hours. I can say I am jealous. The best I have seen personally (GPS) on his boat was 8.9knts steady with 60% genoa and no main in 18 knts of wind. He also has a shorter boom than usual on these boats and a taller mast. Very interesting boat that he has been tinkering with for 30 years. Heavy and fast - strange combo, but works with this setup.

Last edited by hump180; 01-03-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2011

Piero3257 is on a distinguished road
Scarlett, France

Hello.

I own a starrett and Jenks 45 in France. Sorry for my english. It is a beautiful boat wich cruise fast and well. The best I have ever seen.
Unfortunately we have problems with Cost Guards to import it in Euperan Union, especially in France.
Do you someone who already have the same boat and got registration paper in E.U ?

I look for your work onyours boats and it beautiful. Mine has not a well finishd interior and I have project to get it the best I can. Lot of work !

Thanks for all.
Old 01-17-2011

Piero3257 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeenan78 View Post
Does anyone know how much these S&J 45's sold for originaly?
Hello,
I found out some information about price on a dealer website from St Petersburg. His name is bill browing yacht sail. Hehas a lot of docs on his website, especially originaly prices.
Regards
Old 01-18-2011

Popeyensweetp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply's. please any one with more info let me know, thanksto all

Popeyensweetp