Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012

keforion is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Cap,n dave et al:

The drawing I have shows about a 2 foot level section right aft, then a slope up to the wl for'd. That's how my boat looks as well. Another detail, unique to Morgan, is that the bottom edge of the keel in the aft regions is not rounded as in most boat. Instead, it is V shaped, about like the bottom of a skipjack in miniature. I talked with Charles and Bruce Bingham, who worked in Morgan's office as a NA, about this -- they said it was derived from tests on airfoil wingtip designs (Morgan's design idea) and that it tested better in tank tests on the boat designs. Even Heritage, the 12 m contender had it. It is a dead give away that the boat is a Morgan. Other designs of his such as the 34, maybe all of them, had the same detail.

If I can figure out how to do it I'll attach the drawing I have, and some photos of Orion when I clear some of the crap out of the way.

OK, no drawing -- it wants a URL and I have it on my PC. Help?

And we are in Salt Creek Marina in a Cruiseamerica RV parked next to Orion -- come on by for a gam and rum.

Ken & Jeanette
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

keforion is on a distinguished road

On the keel shape:

Bill Browning's Yacht Sales web-site has drawings of lots of boats including those by Morgan and Starratt & Jenks. Thanks to rablack for posting this connection.

It seems there are at least three different boats called "Morgan 45."

1. The original, also called the 'Ocean Racer' according to some, although that appelation does not appear on Morgan's drawings is what most of us have, I think. This one has the short (2') level section to the keel right aft, sloping gently upward from there to the wl for'd (a b---- to block on the hard, as noted by Cap,n Dave) This is the same boat as the S&J or Starratt 45, same molds as the original twelve Morgan built hulls. The only variations I am aware of are the 'cruising' deck mold made by Starratt but fitted to the same hull and a note in the Starratt literature offering a 'sjhoal draft' version. Has anyone seen one of these?

2. The Morgan built and Nelson-Marek designed 'Morgan 45.' This is a different design, inspired by the newly adopted IOR rule. It has the typical pinched ends and reversed transom characteristic of that era.

3. Then there is a 'Catalina Morgan 45' apparently produced by Catalina after they acquired Morgan. It is a substantially heftier boat with long full depth keel, large cabin top and so on. Looks more like an 'Out Island' than the original Morgan 45.

Another story I heard in the yard here at Salt Creek is that Jenks did indeed do jail time, for transporting certain herbal substances in hollow recesses cast into the keels of some of his boats.

We will be here until the 2nd of July in case any of you want to stop by. We'd love to see you.

Ken & Jeanette
Old 08-13-2012

Talisman66 is on a distinguished road

After 5 years of work, she finally sails...
Attached Thumbnails
Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions-sailingaug512.jpg  
s/v Talisman 1979 SJ45 #179
Old 08-14-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Congrats! More pics please!!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 11-06-2012

Popeye21 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, all. I just bought a '89 Starrett-Jenks (I think) 45' Ketch. I've read all the info about it being a Morgan mold sold when the IOR was formed. It's current called the Sun Song and some you may have heard of it as it was being sailed away from Hurricane Issac 3 months ago, but ran aground and the skipper was pulled off, however, the sails were left up, and then the tide lifted it off the sand bar, and it commenced to sail around Mobile Bay by itself, thank you very much.

google Captain-of-Ghost-Ship-That-Knock-Out-Island-Power

Hit some electrical lines, knocking out power to Dauphin Island and then coming about to sail out into the bay again, eventually running aground in the northern marshes, then lay over & filled with water. Anything not fastened floated away & it was raised about 7-10 days later. Anyway, it's my 2nd sailboat, a step-up from the 37' O'Day (which is for sale in Annapolis, BTW) and looks like a doable project. Love all the wood inside, but can't find out some info like who may of build the interior or even who the prior owner was, just in case he has some stuff in his garage he wants to sell. So, I'm looking for, really, almost any info on S-J boats, especially the ketches. Whilst I looked all over the Perkins Engine that I could see, I couldn't find a plate with a model number, but I'm thinking I saw somewhere that it's an 84 horse. Anybody who would like pictures of the current state or future states, please send me an email address & I'll send you some. So, back to work to make some restoration cash.
Old 11-15-2012

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piero3257 View Post
Hello,
I have a S&J 45 in France for 3 years. Actually I can't legally sail further than 20 nm from a port.
I have some problems with regulation. I need S&J 45 drawings.
Do someone has any draw, diagram, design of this boat ?
I have to pass stability tests. An idiotic regulation when you how well this yach sail overseas, but I must do with ...
I already have Bill Browing doc. But it isn't enough. I need the more technical specifications I can.
Thank you for your help.
I have all of the original design blueprints if they would help.
Old 11-15-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye21 View Post
Ahoy, all. I just bought a '89 Starrett-Jenks (I think) 45' Ketch. I've read all the info about it being a Morgan mold sold when the IOR was formed. It's current called the Sun Song and some you may have heard of it as it was being sailed away from Hurricane Issac 3 months ago, but ran aground and the skipper was pulled off, however, the sails were left up, and then the tide lifted it off the sand bar, and it commenced to sail around Mobile Bay by itself, thank you very much.

google Captain-of-Ghost-Ship-That-Knock-Out-Island-Power

Hit some electrical lines, knocking out power to Dauphin Island and then coming about to sail out into the bay again, eventually running aground in the northern marshes, then lay over & filled with water. Anything not fastened floated away & it was raised about 7-10 days later. Anyway, it's my 2nd sailboat, a step-up from the 37' O'Day (which is for sale in Annapolis, BTW) and looks like a doable project. Love all the wood inside, but can't find out some info like who may of build the interior or even who the prior owner was, just in case he has some stuff in his garage he wants to sell. So, I'm looking for, really, almost any info on S-J boats, especially the ketches. Whilst I looked all over the Perkins Engine that I could see, I couldn't find a plate with a model number, but I'm thinking I saw somewhere that it's an 84 horse. Anybody who would like pictures of the current state or future states, please send me an email address & I'll send you some. So, back to work to make some restoration cash.
I love these boats. Always have. Put up pics here when you can. Maybe even start a thread on your restoration. I'd be very interested in following your progress.
JudyM likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-20-2012
s/v Juju

JudyM is on a distinguished road

Hello, We are seriously looking at a 1978 Morgan-SJ 45, aft cockpit. I've been reading online all I can find about these boats. Thanks so much for all written here. Love to hear more from owners if have a chance to share. More pros/cons, rigging, sailing longer passages, anything re; Morgan-SJ, I'm interested!
Thanks,
JudyM
SF Bay
Old 11-21-2012
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road

JudyM,

My wife and I own Enchantress, one of the original Morgan-built 45s before Morgan sold the moulds to S&J so it's basically the same boat you are looking at. We bought her in the Cariibbean six years ago and sailed her back to the Chesapeake.
The basic boat, hull and standing rigging was in very good shape, the sails were tired but usable. The engine was a Volvo turbo diesel with the turbine frozen but this was replaced by the seller. It had a starter battery and a couple of big house batteries (all wet cells) nearing the end of their useful life.
The Morgan and S&J hull was designed to the CCA rule which penalized waterline length. To get around this, the boat was designed to sail at about 20-degree angle of heel for maximum speed. It performs best in 10-20kt winds and we've had her up to just on 12 kts SOG in an 18kt wind. It can be disconcerting for people who are not use to it and it can be a wet ride but we find it exhilarating.
These are the type oif things we did immediately (the winter after we got her back to the bay):
1) the best thing you could say about the 12-volt system was 'creative'. The winter after I got the boat back to the bay, Iripped it all out and rewired to code. Same with with the shore power system. All replaced the batteries with glass mat batteries a 12-volt for the starter and six 6-volt for the house.
2) at my wife's insistence (I won't set foot on the boat again unless you do this) I replaced the leaky manual head with a Vacuflush.
3) replaced the entire fresh water system inclusing the sinks, faucet and shower and added seagull filters. Got new sinks and faucets from Home Depot after pricing marine replacements.
4) got a new jib (well semi-new) from Bacons sails in Annapolis. The main is still hanging in there til we get money to replace it.
5) Enchantress came with parquet flooring which was coming apart. I had a new floor put in.
6) New cushions for the main salon. The forward and quarter berths came with really good mattresses.
We found that Enchantress we severely underwinched (is this a word?) so eventual;ly we replaced the Barlow27 ST primaries with Lewmar 55s.
There have been other upgrades along the way inclduing LED lighting inside and out, a new dodger and bimini, a new dinghy motor, new fans, a color GPS and a hand-held radio.
The other instruments and radios all work fine.
From what I've heard, the S&J hulls were sold in various stages of completion, so you need to make sure that all the work was done properly. And, as in all older boats, very much depends on how well they were maintained. I I would advise that you have the boat inspected by a really good marine surveyor to make sure you know what you're getting into.
We've found Enchantress to be really confortable and a joy to sail and would recommend her -- so long as you don't mind sailing heeled over and so long as there are no major gotchas.
Azi
Old 11-23-2012

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keforion View Post

We have removed the engine, lowered the salon floor in that area so its flush all the way for'd, filled the prop aperture and enlarged the rudder a bit -- original reports were that she was a bit squirrely down-wind.

K E Froeschner
Orion
Keforion,
I have a 1976 Starratt 45, hull # 27. I have motored her 200 miles at a stretch, sailed her solo all the way to the FL keys and back, and had her towed 10 miles, (after my engine seized up in the gulf and the wind died) 2 of those miles were against a 4 knot current and the Tow Boat US Captain had to keep his engine well above half throttle to retain foward momentum and directional control.
My burning question to you is; how do you plan to move your boat around and more importantly, how will you navigate bridges on the ICW?
I stopped by SCM today to look at their facilities and saw your boat Orion, the dodger you built looks top notch! Great work! I didnt understand the big holes in the bow about a foot above the waterline and the two 4" oval holes in the back right at the waterline, what are they for?