SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

108K views 198 replies 41 participants last post by  JerryStar 
#1 · (Edited)
Starratt-Jenks Morgan 45 info-opinions

Hello everyone, read some old threads and opinions about Morgan 45's built by S-J. Not all good comments, but like someone stated ,if you love the boat buy it. Iam looking hard at this boat and can see its been hauled out now for 3 years sitting dry and getting neglected. Some interior moisture. Some worn teak decking with a few spots where the flexible seal between the boards has gapped. The boat needs to be saved NOW before I think it gets beyond reasonable repair. There is a noticeable rust 6 inch "crack"and "buldging" in the lower section of the starboard side of the keel where water will seep out after a rain storm. The seeping will last for a week. Question; is the S-J built morgan a lead keel or a cement keel with steel encasing? Cosmetics I'm not to worried about but those issues can be a sign of larger hidden ones. Iam looking for someone knowledgeable with S-J built Morgan 45's, sloop rigged, center cockpit, for a survey or for your opinions of points to take notice about. I'm north of chicago about 1 hour in, racine, wisconsin. thanks guys, Dave

If your available for survey, please PM me and I'll give you my number to set up appointment.

#92 ·
Ken,
Thanks! Great to begin to understand a little bit more about sailboat design and our Morgan's in particular. I am actually quite interested in the history of and theories behind the changes in yacht design, etc. We are so looking forward to getting our boat out and underway and enjoying her fine sailing design qualities. We've got a large bit of work before testing our sails however; Redoing the standing rigging is the first big project and our surveyor emphasized not to sail much before redoing it.

Our first night we brought her to her new home it was fierce winds, storming and pouring down rain. Found a few leaks of course...

Don't want to divert this thread from Morgan-SJ specific topics but...

Azi,

So what kind of mattresses you bought you were raving about in your earlier post here? Our cushions must be 1978 originals! I've been reading and landing on hypervent (or dri-dek or froli system) underlying hd foam, 4" then memory foam, another 2"-4". ??

Thanks,
JudyM

#94 ·
judym,
My spare jib halyard is on the same level as the primary jib halyard (double block). However a PO (enchantress had two) had a spinnaker halyard put in above the jib halyards. you might consider that in time.
The mattresses were bought by the most recent previous owner. Will check to see if they have a makers label on them. They lived on the boat in the Caribbean and wanted their comfort. Don't even want to think of what they cost.
We bought Enchantress in Antigua and sailed her back to the Chesapeake. I can say from experience that you will get a really smooth ride when you have Juju up at hull speed. The first time we took her out we had a bit more wind than we expected and ended up sailing with the rail down but even then there was a tremendous feeling of stability as Enchantress cut through the water at 11 kts. Even in the stream where you tend to get thrown about the ride was confortable if a little wet. In addition the long full keel gives you a lot more directional stability especially when you're off the wind. Not near as squirrelly as my previous fin keel boat. Can't say how it would be in really heavy weather (and not anxious to find out). But in winds up 25 kts you should get a really good ride.

#95 ·
Ok. THX. Still researching vberth and salon cushion solutions. Also wondering how people have set up holding tank on their SJ Morgan. Ours came with only 6gal, rectangle, under vberth. Not vented...
Thx,
J

#96 ·
Our holding tank also under the v-berth, 30 gals and vented. Six gals IMHO is way to small. Would probably last us less than a week.
BTW only our quarter-berth and v-berth have mattresses. The salon cushions are just cushions

#97 ·
Judy:

On the holding tank issue -- look into the many threads on the subject, especially the composting threads.

We have tried it and it works. Fantastically well. And you do not have to spend k$ for a commercial 'airhead' or the like. You can make your own for less than $20.

If this does not sound too 'icky' to you -- and believe me, it is not -- I'd be glad to share or experience and design.

kef

#98 · (Edited)
Yes, hmm, though can't use compost toilet in the bay! Need to cut larger entry access to compartment under vberth in order to fit a larger rigid holding tank... Boat has a tiny portals to all storage spaces. Sigh. (Reading threads, seems best to avoid bladder.)

Kef,
You made your own tank? Irregular shape? Very curious to hear more.

J

Attachments

Reactions: Solon
#99 ·
Yes, hmm, though can't use compost toilet in the bay! Need to cut larger entry access to compartment under vberth in order to fit a larger rigid holding tank... Boat has a tiny portals to all storage spaces. Sigh. (Reading threads, seems best to avoid bladder.)

Kef,
You made your own tank? Irregular shape? Very curious to hear more.

J
Why cant you use a composting head in the bay? It is non discharge and if you use a commercial one it is coast guard approved.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#101 ·
Paul,
That's what someone told me... Hmmm. Clearly I need to research more! No discharge? Would you tell me more specifics on make/model you are referring to?

Popeye,
Yes, interiors vary wildly on SJ's, but your much later year must be a Catalina made Morgan-45? Or is that Nelson-Merrick? Love to see pics! I saw a YouTube video of someone's Catalina Morgan-45 that was for sale and it was a gloriously plush and roomy inside yacht!

Thx.
J

#102 ·
Paul,
That's what someone told me... Hmmm. Clearly I need to research more! No discharge? Would you tell me more specifics on make/model you are referring to?

Popeye,
Yes, interiors vary wildly on SJ's, but your much later year must be a Catalina made Morgan-45? Or is that Nelson-Merrick? Love to see pics! I saw a YouTube video of someone's Catalina Morgan-45 that was for sale and it was a gloriously plush and roomy inside yacht!

Thx.
J
Sure both the AirHead and Natures Head are completely self contained. One of the advantages is that you can close up at least one thru-hul.

Air Head Dry Toilet: Marine Composting Toilets - Environmentally Friendly Marine Composting Toilet System

Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!

C-Head seems to be a more inexpensive option. It does not look quite as compact as the others, but it is about half price. It also looks a bit more "thrown together" but appears functional.

C-Head portable composting toilets

You can build one yourself too, but I have never seen one that looks really nice, or as easy to operate.

#105 ·
Popeye -
Wow- Sun Song looks to be a beautiful ship. Great find. How's the restoration going? Love to see some pics. Her interior is so grand! I bet she's cleaning up to be a real beauty.

Best,
JudyM

#106 ·
Miatapaul,
Thanks for the info on the compostable toilets! I'm researching those - seems like a good direction to go with since we don't have a good holding tank set up or a good space to put a bigger tank - maybe just step over that whole issue... I'll keep you posted.
Best,
JudyM

#109 ·
On composting toilets and Coast Guard approval. You do NOT need a commercial unit in order for it to be "Coast Guard Approved." As long as there is no discharge overboard there is no applicable regulation. The regulations and approvals concern overboard discharges. Once the worms have finished turning your waste into dirt it may be carried ashore and disposed of in a landfill. You will need to do this no more than once every few months, depending on the size of your system. Best is to have two containers, one currently in use, therefore kind of 'fresh,' the other set aside somewhere to finish the process before landside disposal.

We have no 'holding tank' but we did convert the bilges from the mast step area aft to the bulkhead just for'd of the c'way into three fresh water tanks. They were completely lined in fresh white fiberglas and epoxy and sealed over with permanent 3/4" mahogany ply floors. Access to each is by 8" deck-plates.

As to motors -- agreed that the way most harbours are laid out these days it will be difficult -- illegal in fact in some. But we sailed an IOD with no motor and had no problem docking etc. And sailors ave been doing it for centuries or millenia before engines were invented. We do plan an electric propulsion system but would rather not rely on it. And there are always oars. Far more reliable than diesel or other engines.

#110 · (Edited)
Hi All,
We have a question for all you wonderful other SJ owners! Our SJ came to us with the rigging set up with baby running back stays (attached at the toe rail with at padeyes or slide eyes) located about two feet aft of the base of the shrouds and halfway down from the top of the mast to the cross trees. We are unsure of how these adjustable stays are to be used. Why are they positioned so close to the mast then what we're used to seeing? We've been told by some that at this location they help to straighten the mast when sailing to weather. But their so far up the mast? Maybe their used to support the staysail? Any input most welcome!
Best regards,
Judy + Kusuru

#115 · (Edited)
Talisman:

QUOTE: The space between the old and the new transoms is our propane (and other flammables) locker, completely sealed from the rest of the boat. And in case you were wondering, the transom slopes back, i.e. NOT reversed as per IOR fashions. END QUOTE

Would love to see how you extend the transom and put in a locker. Any pictures? Here's mine:

PS: It's snowing here in Denver today, 8"-12", so I have nothing else to do......

Attachments

#117 ·
Poeye21:

The quote about the transom was from me. I do have pictures ... lots of them, but can not figure out how to post or attach them.

keforion
keforion: when you hit post reply or quote, you will see, in the new window, a series of buttons along the top of the window. One is a smallpaperclip, and when you click on the a new window opens allowing you to browse to wherever you have the picture. Select the ones you want to post, then click "upload". Really just that easy. Popeye 21

Attachments

#118 ·
Hi,
Two questions!

We are entering the Pacific Cup race from San Francisco to Hawaii. Anyone have any experience using symmetrical spinnaker vs asymmetrical? I was told by someone that symmetrical would be better on our boat vs using asymmetrical on the displacement characteristics of SJ 45?

Also our Anomometer was not hooked to our Ray marine series c80 series display when we purchased boat. Unlike typical Ray marine Anomometer which has a five wire cable, ours has a seven wire cable. Not sure of manufacturer of our unit. Any ideas on how to make the two talk short of having to climb the mast and replace the unit.

Much thanks.

Judy and Kusuru

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.