Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007

Tucan is on a distinguished road
1979 Morgan OI 415

Does anyone know the measurments for a fuel tank gauge stick.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
There can be no standard unit to represent volume as the fuels tanks on different boats differ.

First make sure that you can insert a "Stick" to measure volume. Many fill hoses are not straight drops to the bottom of the tank. If you can insert a stick to the bottom of the tank and the tank is uniform in its vertical dimensions; then, it is possible to insert the unmarked stick after filling the tank and mark the full indication at the fluid spot after withdrawing. This can be divided as you please into half, quarters, etc.

If your tank is not uniform in vertical dimension; then, I believe your only choice would be to start with an empty tank, add known quantities of fuel and mark the stick at these intervals. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2007

This should be the same on all 415 models. They have 138 gal asymectrical tank that has straight access from filler. I have a stick that came with the boat but is does not check to be accurrate when I add additional fuel. Because of the volume of fuel in the tank I have no means to empty it. It only uses about .5 gph so fuel lasts a long time since we mostly sail. Thanks for your response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
There can be no standard unit to represent volume as the fuels tanks on different boats differ.

First make sure that you can insert a "Stick" to measure volume. Many fill hoses are not straight drops to the bottom of the tank. If you can insert a stick to the bottom of the tank and the tank is uniform in its vertical dimensions; then, it is possible to insert the unmarked stick after filling the tank and mark the full indication at the fluid spot after withdrawing. This can be divided as you please into half, quarters, etc.

If your tank is not uniform in vertical dimension; then, I believe your only choice would be to start with an empty tank, add known quantities of fuel and mark the stick at these intervals. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Since you know your gallons as 138...I would suggest taking a measure before the next time you fill up and making a mark on your stick. Then compare the gallons of fuel you take on to 138. If you take 35 gallons then that mark is 3/4 full etc.
Once you get the first mark, then you should go further without re-fueling the next time and fill in your stick little by little.
Old 10-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Since you know your gallons as 138...I would suggest taking a measure before the next time you fill up and making a mark on your stick. Then compare the gallons of fuel you take on to 138. If you take 35 gallons then that mark is 3/4 full etc.
Once you get the first mark, then you should go further without re-fueling the next time and fill in your stick little by little.
Thank you for your response. This is an idea I have considered as last resort. I am hoping to find someone with the same model that has a stick they could give me dimensions from. I plan to list my needs with the Morgan user group to see if someone there may have one for their boat.
Old 10-31-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Tucan, You are right! My answer was rather simplistic and generic, If you are unable to find the specific answer, another technique may be to divert your diesel return hose to an auxillary tank. This may allow you to near empty your tank despite almost always sailing. Good luck with finding the sister ship with the same tank.
Old 11-18-2007
cubacruising.net editor

pedrodelrio is on a distinguished road
Morgan fuel tank dipstick

The stick is 5 feet long.
The 1/4 mark is 11 3/4 inches from the bottom
The 1/2 mark is 22 inches from the bottom
The 3/4 mark is 31 7/8 from the bottom
The full mark is 39 7/8 from the bottom

I have been sailing my 1977 Morgan OI 41 for five years. I found the marks to be accurate.

Peter
Old 12-05-2007

Morgan 415 fuel gauge stick

Thank You! Thank You!

This vessel had a stick with it when I bought it. It is marked in gallons. When I would add a known number of gallons it did not match up with the markings on the stick. This should help me to eliminate the error.

I see you have a very interesting web site. I bought this morgan 41 shortly after it came back from Havana Cuba in the 1999 Iberville Cup. My best friend made the trip with the owner at that time and told me what a comfortable sailing vessel it was. These cruisers are hard to beat. Took a quick peek at your website and plan to revisit to see what interesting information is there.

Thanks again

Bill