Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Big Black Port Gaskets

I recently ordered two 50' rolls of the 1" (hull) to 1/4"(lexan) black rubber gaskets and locking strip used on the early 70's Morgan OI and some other Morgan portlights. My old portlight gaskets are so ozone damaged and ugly; with black steaking from the old rubber. I can't wait to receive the new gaskets and try the refit! Of course, I don't really need 100', but slightly more than 60'. I should have almost 40' of the material left over. Someone might be interested,- I'll post my results. Who else has refit OI portlights? Have you replaced the original rubber extrusion like my plan? ,-or something new and different? 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2008

Orionsue is on a distinguished road
Talking Gasket material portlights Morgan 41

What a relief! There is actually someone who is trying to do the same thing we want to do with replacing the gaskets on the portlights. We have a 1973 Morgan 41 Out Island and are trying to locate where to buy the gasket material and also the correct size. I am very interested in the 40 ft. left-over if that is the correct size for my boat. Please tell me more.
Thanks in advance.
Sue
S/V Orion
Old 01-22-2008

Sue, We are also on a '73 41OI,- The material has been delivered to my daughter's home and I'm driving up tomorrow to pick up a small sample to fit one portlight. I want to see if the flexibility is sufficient to make the 3" radius turn at the ends of the ports. Unlike the original the locking strips are black. I hope that the current product by Stanlock is identical to their 1973 production. Send me a reminder e.mail at aythya1@yahoo.com and I will tell you of my findings. I recall the name of your vessel,- maybe on the morgan 41 yahoo site...?? 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
(google Stanlock sealing gaskets to see the specs for the 1" to 1/4" gasket)
Old 01-22-2008

Thanks Aythya crew. I believe Stewart and Nancy and yes I also do know you from the Morgan 41 yahoo site!! It's a small world. I sent you the pdf on the Stan-Lock stuff not too long ago. I have emailed a distributor in California today and hope to hear from him. Thank you for your email. I will send you a reminder to find out what happened as you suggested.
Happy Sailing
Sue
S/V Orion
Old 01-23-2008

Sue, Nancie & I are currently in New Smyrna Beach. I brought a sample of the gasket & lockstrip back from Jacksonville. I was concerned about the flexibility of the material. My 35 year old materials are so stiff, I thought they may have been form-molded, but the new materials are very supple. It's been raining here so I will try a refit of one port when the weather is dry. Where are you now located? -Stewart & Nancie
Old 01-25-2008

Talking

Hi Stewart, we are in Puerto Rico. We have been living here for the past 11 years. We bought Orion last year and are preparing for full time cruising in about 1 1/2 years. I got a quote from a company in Oregon for the 50 ft. roll. The shipping costs are high, almost half of the price! Anyways, I am looking forward to your reply concerning the product. The company rep in Oregon is very nice and he sent me a pdf of the gasket. He said we can return it if it does not fit. For now, we only need to replace the four big portlights in the salon. So perhaps your left-overs would be the perfect thing for us????? Hopefully you could let me know by next week, because I need to get the stuff soon, either from you or from Oregon. Regards to you and Nancy
Happy Sailing
Sue
Old 02-06-2008

Hi Sue, 'sorry to be so late in reply, but we'e been away from wireless for a while,-we're in Ft. Lauderdale now. I replaced my leaking port with the sample of new material and found that the 3" radius bend at each end was severe enough to distort the shape of the channel for the locking strip. This prevented me from being able to insert the locking strip. I have ordered the tool from Oregon and with it I may be able to suceed. The new locking strips are much more supple and I can not pry them into place by hand. Even without the locking strip my new portlight gasket no longer leaks, but I do not think the ports will be safe offshore without the locking strip. I should receive the tool when I'm in Key Largo next week. I'll keep you posted here. 'take care and joy, Stewart
Old 04-05-2008

Planb835 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to be stupid but what is a locking strip? I have a 74 33 OI and my wife just called to say most of the ports are leaking. Is there anything tricky to rebedding these ports? Does it require any caulk?
Old 04-06-2008

Planb835, The locking strip is the white trim insert that, from the outside of the port, increases the pressure of the gasket against the hull and the polycarbonate portlight. The new product has a more flexible locking strip that is all black, but the H-gasket extrusion is identical to the original. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 04-12-2008

Smile gaskets

Hello Stewart and Nancy,
do you have any updates on the gaskets? Did you get them finished and how do they work? I had to leave for Germany and will be back end of April. My triplet brother had triple bypass surgery! He is recovering nicely. My husband will be ordering the gasket material for Orion. Just wanted to see if you had any news.
Happy Sailing
Sue
S/V Orion