Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008

deryk is on a distinguished road
Centerboard raising mechanism...

Hello folks...

Well tomorrow is suposed to be the day to be getting my 1969 Morgan 34. Had some hangups but finally got it smoothed out. So I was wondering if anyone has any info on the cb raising mechanism... besides I know I need to replace the rusted out pulley but what do you do in the way of maintenance? I havent located yet where the pin is that holds the board in place.

thanks

deryk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2008

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Deryk, Could it be that the only "pin" is the dog on the winch? I don't know about the M34, but I've seen centerboard boats without relief from the CB weight on the cable. 'Aythya crew
Old 06-07-2008

Smile

Hello CaptainForce,

Maybe pin isnt the right word, more likely a bolt that the centerboard pivots on. Im sure the fiberglass cb's put much less stress on it the the older bronze boards do, but since she is going to be out of the water for a few months and I need to drop the mast replace the mastplate and pulley, figure replaceing the 4 main standing rigging cables might as well check the pin/bolt to make sure its not bent or worn. I guess I can borrow a friends powerwasher and powerwash the bottom paint off and might be able to find where it is.

Im wanting to do this boat right cause Im plannin on haveing her for a while.

thanks

deryk
Old 06-07-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I did not know how to reply untill your second post...now its clear you have a swing keel like mine...

Yes you will find the pin glassed over in the lower forward portion of your keel stub...This is just how its done...you will have to grind away on both sides to be able to drive the pin out....I did mine last fall and put new wear plates back in as the old ones were broken free and worn allowing to much play ( slop ) and you could feel the keel shift while tacking...now it's nice and tight again....then of course we had to glass ofer the pin ends again...seems old and archaic I know but its not something you will be doing probably ever again..my boat is 25 years old and this was the first time as far as we could tell...I replaced the cable at the same time and would highly recommend you do the same...cheap insurance....Hope this helped.
Old 06-08-2008

Thanks... I figured it would be covered with bondo or something. Im gonna give it a try at some point with the power washer to get the bottom paint off and see if I can see where the pin is before I start grinding. I know my mast will be coming down to replace the step plate for the mast and the pulley for the lifing mechanism. Lots of jobs for this summer but I wanna get it all done so wont have to worry about it.

thanks

deryk