M 416 O/I holding tank valve question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2008 Thread Starter

Question M 416 O/I holding tank valve question

Does anybody know if there is some kind of lock I am missing on the Y valve for the head overboard/holding tank selector?

I have an '82 M416 O/I which I just bought and it appears both valves are in the overboard discharge position. This is hard to imagine as the boat was surveyed and is in well above average condition and was meticulously maintained by the previous (and original) owner.

The valves are not a standard Y valve with a selector handle but rather a knob type valve like one might have on a garden hose spigot. They both only turn about a half inch.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2008

I have a 76 O/I with similar valves for through hulls. They are a type of gate valves & should turn alot more to open & close. I would haul the boat & replace them.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2008

I own a '83 416 equipped with a gate valve. It should turn a few turns just as any gate valve. When you shut the gate valve the effluent is directed into the holding tank. When open, it is in the overboard position. You do not have to haul-out to change a gate valve.

J. Ali
Sleeper
post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2008

You might considering joining the Out Island 41 owners group at Groups at Yahoo. It is a great source for OI-41 owners.

J. Ali
Sleeper
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2008

Sorry miss read the post. My y valve for the aft head has also stuck. It's a newer plastic valve. It was full of a sand like deposit caused by sea water & urine,I was told. Also the hose from the head to the valve was full of this stuff. Flush better & use some fresh water & vinegar.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper41 View Post
You might considering joining the Out Island 41 owners group at Groups at Yahoo. It is a great source for OI-41 owners.

J. Ali
Sleeper
Interested, How does one do that?

Brett
s/v Midnite Sun
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper41 View Post
I own a '83 416 equipped with a gate valve. It should turn a few turns just as any gate valve. When you shut the gate valve the effluent is directed into the holding tank. When open, it is in the overboard position. You do not have to haul-out to change a gate valve.

J. Ali
Sleeper
So, the question is, how do I avoid the dreaded sewage when changing the valve? I figure I will, of course, empty everything that can be emptied, and flush out as much as possible, but of course there is going to probably be something still left in there (murphy's law).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.