Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008

cognomen is on a distinguished road
Morgan 35 - Boom!

This is really a question of how to ease the outhaul on my somewhat modified but, I think, still mostly original boom on my Morgan classic 35.

Someone along the way (this is a 1971 model, hull #113) shortened the boom and converted it so that the main is sheeted over a traveller in the cockpit in front of the binnacle. I only realized recently that it used to be a roller-reefing boom. There is still a hex-fitting in the boom at the gooseneck that rolls the boom if you insert a short crank and rotate either way.

The outhaul is tightened by inserting the same hex-crank into another fitting near the gooseneck. It turns only one way, pulling a wire that tensions the outhaul. The problem is, there seems to be no way to release the tension, and in my experimenting, I managed to tighten the thing enough so that I need a short line now to attach the clew to the outhaul fitting on the aft end of the boom.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
--Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008

morganbill is on a distinguished road
My Morgan 35 (Hull Number 116) was modified exactly the same way. Roller furling boom and the traveller in front of the wheel directly beneath the boom tip. The boom is 13-feet 6 inches. I will check my boom to see how it is released and get back to you. (I think there is a release button on the boom). I do not utilize the roller reefing. I have a tall rig and even with the short boom, I often reef the main to ease the weather helm and heel of the boat. It balances very nicely reefed this way in winds over 15 knots. I sail it mostly around Long Beach, CA.

Brad
Old 12-02-2008

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Hello Nick, My '73 Morgan has the same type of roller furling boom and out haul. My release button is on the under side of the boom aft of the gooseneck. My system is "frozen" in place now, adjusted to my use, and I'm not changing it; however, when I last had it operating the release button would pop out when I cranked and then the cable would slack when I pushed the button. 'good luck, Aythya crew
Old 12-03-2008

sailonct is on a distinguished road
I bought a 1971 Morgan 35' Mark II sloop hull 71 (tall rig) a month ago and am working to bring it back, was neglected the last decade but is sound overall. I don't believe it ever was set up with a roller furling boom. The boom extends to the end of the cockpit, which is also where the traveler is, between the end of the cockpit and the stern lazerette.
Old 12-03-2008

Thanks, all! This is very helpful.
I'll try to post a picture this weekend, though it's all under a tarp now. There is a hole, or recessed tube just forward of where the crank attaches for the outhaul (near the gooseneck on starboard). It hadn't occurred to me that there might be a button down in there. I did try to see if a screwdriver caught anything.
I'll also check the bottom of the boom but don't recall seeing anything there.
Sounds like Brad's boat and mine are very similar and that sailonct has the original boom. I've still got the track for the traveller between the cockpit and lazerette.
--Nick
Old 12-11-2008

boofus is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear about some morgan 35's out there, anyone know how many were built?
Old 12-11-2008

sailonct is on a distinguished road
Boofus, I have some limited information, you may already have. Since it's not relevant to this thread, drop me a private email and I'd be glad to share what I have.

Dewayne
Old 12-12-2008

Update: There is a button on the bottom of the boom, near the gooseneck. First thing I'll try when the weather warms up. Thanks all!
--Nick
Old 12-31-2008

Pcrevfl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Pcrevfl
Couldn't help but notice the reference to the "tall rig". I too have a Morgan 35. I bought it a couple of years ago and have just now been able to get to work on her. (It is currently in my back yard.) I am hoping to launch her sometime this spring. My boom is just like the others posted with the little button and roller furling boom. But, what's the difference between a regular rig and a "talll" rig? I have the original owners manual which I have scanned into a pdf. You can download it at warrendrake.com/Morgan35.pdf. But it I don't recall seeing any mention of a tall rig?

My boat is a 1971 - hull number 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Warren

Last edited by Pcrevfl; 12-31-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 01-01-2009

morganbill is on a distinguished road
Morgan 35 Tall Rig

I have the owners manual and it has the Tall Rig dimensions as:

I = 43.25
J=13.67
P = 38.25
E = 15.0

versus a standard rig of:
I = 40.75
J = 13.67
P = 35.83
E = 15.0

My boom has been shorten so the end of it is directly above the wheel pedestal, E is approximately 13'-6". I had new sails made and it measured out very close to the tall rig except for the foot of the main.

Brad