Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009

Amundsen72 is on a distinguished road
Considering a 1966 Morgan 34

Hello: Considering moving forward on a 1966 Morgan 34 and am wondering if the Morgan community on Sailnet could give me their thoughts on this boat...

According to the owner, this was Charley Morgan's boat and he had designed it for himself for cruising (don't know if that's true or not). It has a split galley (to both port/starboard), no quarterberths in the stern (it's all storage in the stern and has stern locker), but two pilot berths in the main cabin along with a v-berth.

Atomic 4, been sitting on the hard for 3 years, tiller, hank-on sails, few if any electronics, and 20 gallons each for fuel and water.

My vision would be to get a survey to see if it's worth sinking money into..

questions are please:

1.) would this be a good cruising sailboat (at least coastal) for a family of four (son- age 8 and daughter and 10)?

2.) Anyone have any experience with Morgan 34s in terms of their sailing performance?

2.) Any big issues that I should be aware of, i.e. Atomic 4, centerboard, peculiarities of this make and model?

what are folks thoughts?

thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2009
Jeffrey

Duck401k is on a distinguished road
Spirit 1969 Morgan 34

Yep - I have a Morgan, The lay out is different than the one you are looking at. We have two quarter Berths, and galley is on starboard. It is a great sailboat for small family. The layout below gives us a lot of room for a 34 and the cockpit is roomy as well. The large deck also gives us some space for kids.

The survey went well and the hull was solid. A new engine was put in about 5 years ago by a prior owner. I did some work on the head, seacocks and centerboard pulley. but all works. The head is small....

The boat is easy to sail and the tiller is fine. She is not terribly fast but has very little weather helm when trimmed right. I am not sure that I would go off shore with her, but the chesapeake is fine. I think she sails fine.. Charlie Morgan has a web site and before I bought mine I emailed him with a question...he emailed back a day later. Morgan 34's look great on the water.

any more specific questions please let me know...I have some pictures but I am not sure how to upload..I can try if you like...Good Luck
Old 05-28-2009

price point

Hello:

thanks so much for your reply.

What price point would you think would be a fair price for the boat I just described?

Also, what do you think would be an outstanding deal on a '66 Morgan 34?

Kindly,

jason
Old 05-28-2009
Jeffrey

A wild guess and I mean wild w/ out looking..if everything works enough to sail, you say sitting on the hard for 3 years so my visual is not great, but 15 to 20k...now what is the owner asking ?

My morgan in very good condition, in todays market might be worth 25, there are some for sale on Yachtworld check it out...best Jeff
Old 05-28-2009

Hi Duck401K

they are asking $5,500.........

i checked out prices on boats.com and found similar numbers to what you were mentioning....
Old 05-29-2009
Jeffrey

Sounds like she might need some work. If you need info email Charlie Morgan

The MORGAN YACHT CONNECTION he has helped many people with old Morgans.

At that price, it might need some work. Where do you plan to sail ? I have found that my kids can understand the simple rigging and enjoy the room. I have virtually no electronics and the boat is very easy to maintain.

I am sailing this weekend on the CB

Good luck
Old 05-29-2009

have fun out there in the Bay!

I think the vision is to sail out of the Great Lakes in a few years and down the coast to Florida. From there, I don't know..

Once I get some pics I'll email Charley (thanks for the link, by the way) and get his thoughts on the boat. Undoubtedly it will need some work. Any boat that sits on the hard will accumulate water so I'm worried about what kind of damage has been done to her while she's sitting.

I like the idea of my kids having a simple, safe boat to live aboard on for a year or two. You don't feel safe taking your boat out on the ocean? Not quite set up for it? Kids too little?
Old 06-05-2009

OceanSparkle is on a distinguished road
Amundsen -
Where is the Morgan 34 you're considering purchasing?
Old 06-05-2009

inshallamiami is on a distinguished road
We absolutely LOVE our 1969 morgan 34. We have sailed her to Rio Dulce, Guatemala and back and were very happy! pm me if you need more info
Sue K.
Old 07-25-2009

cboudart is on a distinguished road
I have hull #110 , bought it 4 years ago. I paid $12,500, we started at $22,000. It was in good mechanical shape. Good Old Boat magazine did a nice article on this boat. I love many things about this boat ( sails well, is quick, and turns a lot of heads ). I think 1967 was the height of the bronze age. I have a solid bronze centerboard, winches, winch handles. The hull is solid fiberglass. Very sturdy boat.

Now for the negatives. Look at the base of your mast, I had to replace the step/centerboard pulley. The outhaul winch is slipping. Do you have a waste tank? The fuel tank could have gunk in it. The side fixed ports can be troublsome. Does your boat have a bimini? I will stop here. Each one of these items can be big projects to fix.

It's a strong, well built boat for the money; if it was taken care of. Pay for a survey, it is well worth it.

Sea Treasure
Worton Creek, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.