Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010

kentheighton is on a distinguished road
Morgan 45

I've also looked at the "Lady Di" in San Diego. I agree she needs work. She has a new engine, but was not excited when I saw her up close. There is also a Morgan 45 in Tacoma which is in great condition and has a bow thruster. It is a bit pricy for my wallet. You might want to consider it.

Kent
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010

2Sheets2TheWind is on a distinguished road
Was there anything specifically wrong with Lady Di, or just in tired shape? The pictures probably don't show what a well trained eye can see. Looks like a good deal on the web, but I think I found it under three different boat brokers, which told me something.
Old 09-13-2010

It appears to be listed under at leat 8 brokers, if not more by now. There were signs of leaks above the water line with no clear source. The owner seems motivated to sell her, but I was not willing to take on the unknowns even at $112K
Old 09-13-2010

Lady Di

Thanks. Interesting. Leaks above the water line with no indication of origin. My initial though would be standing rigging, but that (I suppose) could also include a bad deck core? It's hard to find a lot of info about the Catalina Morgan 45s, or many that are available, on line. Guess they're a scarce commodity.

Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2010

Some of the leaks might be from the hull to deck joint, hatches and some rigging.

I would sure appreciate more info from the Morgan community on the early 90's vintage 45. I think this is the boat I want... but cannot find any comments good or bad.
Old 09-14-2010

Morgan 45

I thought about leaks from portholes after I replied yesterday...didn't think about deck joints. Portholes or rigging could be fixed without much trouble (I say that like mine has gone so smoothly) as long as there isn't any sustained damage, but deck joints are something I know nothing about. I can't even find a diagram of what type of keel the 45s have. I'm an east coaster, and there's a Cat-Morgan for sale at a boat yard in Annapolis. I'll be up there next month for the sailboat show, and I'll try and check it out. I don't think it's a 45 as the header on the listing says...it says 44 once you get on it's website, and there seems to be a lot more than a foot of difference int he 45s and 44s.
Old 09-14-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
If I were considering a Morgan 45, I would also seriously consider a Gulfstar, a Tayana 42, or a Catalina 42. The Tayana is a super boat and I believe they are very undervalued. The C42 has a very passionate following and you will find them everywhere including a very large owners group. Gulfstars are flat out built like tanks, though depending on whether it was made on a Monday or Friday may make a big difference in the boat. On teh cheaper side, you could consider an old Irwin too... but tehy are really hit-miss, with some of tehm junk and some of them really undervalued. Be very cautious about blisters on the Irwins.

I am not negative on the Morgan 45's. I have been on a couple. It just happened the ones I was on were rode hard and put up wet and it turned me off of them a bit. I am sure there are super examples too... I just have never seen one - and boats like the Tayana and C42's are better values.

These are my opinions only and not those as a Tech editor.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-14-2010

Thanks, Brian. I've been trying to narrow the searches to mid 1990s or so, and around 45 feet. I've checked out some of the Tayanas on line, as well as Gulfstars. Look like good boats (I've read more about the Tayanas over the last few years, but not a whole lot), but many are 80s vintage and/or in the 42 range. But it's OK...I'm still a few years from moving on board and heading south for a couple of years exploring the Caribe and Central America with the wife. Her three requirements: A separate shower area with at least a bench so she can shave her legs easier, 47 feet long (45 will be OK...she won't notice), and not a fixer upper.

Agree on the Irwins. Ted seemed to do things on the cheaper side, although they have a strong following among the owners of 38s and Mark IIs that I've met. I have a Citation which is a good basic boat for the Chesapeake bay, but it is everything the reviews say about it is true. When you get a good blow of 12 or 15 knots, you wish it felt more solid. It's a light boat, so days with 6 to 8 knots aren't wasted days like the heavier ones. It's just a day sailor for us.

Thanks, again. Any advice on boats you have is greatly appreciated. Sounds like you have a lot of experience.
Old 09-14-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sheets2TheWind View Post
Thanks, Brian. I've been trying to narrow the searches to mid 1990s or so, and around 45 feet. I've checked out some of the Tayanas on line, as well as Gulfstars. Look like good boats (I've read more about the Tayanas over the last few years, but not a whole lot), but many are 80s vintage and/or in the 42 range. But it's OK...I'm still a few years from moving on board and heading south for a couple of years exploring the Caribe and Central America with the wife. Her three requirements: A separate shower area with at least a bench so she can shave her legs easier, 47 feet long (45 will be OK...she won't notice), and not a fixer upper.

Agree on the Irwins. Ted seemed to do things on the cheaper side, although they have a strong following among the owners of 38s and Mark IIs that I've met. I have a Citation which is a good basic boat for the Chesapeake bay, but it is everything the reviews say about it is true. When you get a good blow of 12 or 15 knots, you wish it felt more solid. It's a light boat, so days with 6 to 8 knots aren't wasted days like the heavier ones. It's just a day sailor for us.

Thanks, again. Any advice on boats you have is greatly appreciated. Sounds like you have a lot of experience.
For a run to S America and beyond, I would probably limit my list to the Tayana 42 of the ones mentioned. I know that boat well. THat is what my father has and I have been extensively involved with it. I also know the others pretty well - most certainly the Catalina. I would be more concerned about when the wind is well beyond 15 knots than when it is 6-8, though you will get a lot of that too. But the latter is more life threatening (if not flat uncomfortable) if you do not have a boat that can handle heavy weather.

Also, there is a LOT of storage on the 42. It has surpsingly more storage than many boats in its class. And teh 42, taken care of, will be a solid boat.

I do not understand why you would arbitrarily set a length requirement of 47 feet or so. If it is just you and your wife (maybe even two kids), the 42 is a perfect boat. The longer teh boat, the more expensive to buy and maintain. Plus, the more difficult to dock (notice I did not say sail). I would take the Tayana 42 over the Morgan 45 any day of the week. Hands down. No comparrison. Also of interest to you is it is easy to work on and system runs are easy. It has a lot of fuel and a lot of water. She has a very sea kindly motion and is a cutter rig which is my preference for offshore work (though I personally own a sloop). You can get her as a center or aft cockpit (we have the aft). She weighs in dry around 38000 lbs.

And yes... she has a seperate shower with stool so your wife can shave her legs...

Brian

PS For more performance, but still a solid blue water boat, also consider the Passport 40.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-08-2011

smitchells01 is on a distinguished road
Truckee Sailor

We are looking at a Morgan 45 cc to purchase, early 90's, and would love feedback on performance and how she sails off shore. We also looked at Tayanas and love those boats as well, but not sure how they sail to wind with their weight and a cutaway keel. Some of the seasoned sailors we talk to say make sure we can sail off a lee shore and head to wind. Any comments from anyone familiar with these boats would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for a live aboard to take to Mexico and beyond.