Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010

cognomen is on a distinguished road
Morgan 35 replacing portlights

This is a 35 Classic (1971) with the original cabin port lights, which have become cloudy and leak-prone (without a good dose of silicone). They have a thick black rubber border or gasket, but the overall sizes look something like the Lewmar's standard sizes. Trouble is, I can't see a way to remove the old ones non-destructively to check the opening.
I wonder if anyone has replaced the port lights. I'd love to know what replacements would fit and how much trouble it was. My current ones are two sizes: large (8 1/4" x 27") and smaller (6 3/4 x 12 3/4"), measuring on the outside of the black gaskets.
--Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2010
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Your portlights sound identical to those on my 1971 Morgan 30. Prior to re-sealing mine, I removed one to see what the coachroof core was like. getting it off was easy (remove the white plastic strip on the outside and apply a bit of judicious leverage with a couple of screwdrivers). Getting it back on was quite a different matter and involved a lot of heaving, sweating and cursing. I managed it, though!

Incidentally, I removed the white strip on all of the protlights which allowed me to get the tip of a sealant gun in behind the rubber and make a really good job of sealing.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook