SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Morgan (
-   -   Morgan Thru-Hull fittings (

mzw 03-29-2011 02:25 PM

Morgan Thru-Hull fittings
My Morgan has through hull fittings that are glassed into the hull. Some of these have a screen on the outside, but most are flush with the hull. While I have owned an older boat (1970 Pearson), all the through hulls on that boat were not glassed in and had a flange on the outside of the hull.
Most of the through hull fittings on the Morgan need work- new seacock valves and handles.

Anyone else have this configuration? Have you changed these out?
I thought that I could un-screw the seacock ball valve and simply screw on a replacement, but the fiberglass goes up around the ball valve as well.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to replace the entire thing with a more modern configuration where the thru-hull is a mushroom type (with a flange on the outside) with a backing block inside and a thru-hull flange nut on top of it, and then the ball valve.

Happy Sailing

maarty10 05-01-2011 11:22 PM

Morgan thru hulls
Why not keep the thru hull in place and only replace the valve? That's what might be the simplest option.

mzw 05-06-2011 12:15 PM

I agree, after closer inspection, it appears that just new handles and cleaning (for most part) is all that is required.

Sailmon 06-01-2011 08:10 PM

Just finished all my seacocks and throughulls on my 1978 382. The original throughulls were in excellent shape.

LesleyS 06-30-2011 03:09 PM

I've got a 1981 416 with a non-functioning thru-hull for the aft air conditioning intake. I've never had to deal with thru-hulls before on my 26 ft Chrysler day-sailer, so this is all new to me. What do I need to do to repair the thru-hull, so that it keeps water out when closed? Also, what is the best method for unsticking and lubricating the thru-hulls before the boat goes back in the water?

Thanks in advance,
s/v Sheer Joy

fcsob 07-01-2011 11:34 AM

Do you have gate valves or ball valves ?

LesleyS 07-01-2011 11:26 PM

Ball Valves are the ones I am trying to sort out. There are a couple Gate Valves that I need to replace, but the Ball valve type is the one that is broken.

CaptainForce 07-02-2011 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by mzw (Post 714325)
My Morgan has through hull fittings that are glassed into the hull. Some of these have a screen on the outside, but most are flush with the hull.................

I was trying to match this description to my Morgan fittings, but without any ideas. Is yours a "Catalina"-Morgan?.....Nelson-Marek? 'curious, Aythya crew

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome