SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Morgan Thru-Hull fittings

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CaptainForce 
#1 ·
My Morgan has through hull fittings that are glassed into the hull. Some of these have a screen on the outside, but most are flush with the hull. While I have owned an older boat (1970 Pearson), all the through hulls on that boat were not glassed in and had a flange on the outside of the hull.
Most of the through hull fittings on the Morgan need work- new seacock valves and handles.

Anyone else have this configuration? Have you changed these out?
I thought that I could un-screw the seacock ball valve and simply screw on a replacement, but the fiberglass goes up around the ball valve as well.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to replace the entire thing with a more modern configuration where the thru-hull is a mushroom type (with a flange on the outside) with a backing block inside and a thru-hull flange nut on top of it, and then the ball valve.

Happy Sailing

#5 ·
I've got a 1981 416 with a non-functioning thru-hull for the aft air conditioning intake. I've never had to deal with thru-hulls before on my 26 ft Chrysler day-sailer, so this is all new to me. What do I need to do to repair the thru-hull, so that it keeps water out when closed? Also, what is the best method for unsticking and lubricating the thru-hulls before the boat goes back in the water?

Thanks in advance,
Lesley
s/v Sheer Joy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.