Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
Oh, almost forgot... My windows are all yellow with a million cracks and crazings, so I plan on going to lowes and for $54 they sell a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass that may just give enough material to change out all of the ports. I see the port frames appear to have screws holding them on the outside of the cabin - if so, I may start with one of the small ports first to see what I am getting myself into. I have a belt sander to help shape edges, and with a fine toothed saw table and jigsaw with care I have cut plexiglass before. Once shaped it will be a simple matter of reinstalling and sealing - should work for at least a few years I would think. Unfortunately there are no blueprints available online.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2012

MorganGirl is on a distinguished road
Hi George! Thanks for your help and it's great to hear what other folks are going through. I live in the Northeast and though the winter has been mild, we've recently had a cold snap. I been stuck indoors for the past week.

I put together a blog for my friends to follow, I'm trying my best to keep it updated with weekly progress!

Chasing a Wild Goose
Old 01-18-2012

Wild Goose

Wow, if you can create a great web page like that you can refit your nice looking Morgan! I have my internal centerboard system working, my wench handle is a perfect fit. The boat yard has the boat sitting in the slings FINALLY! I am waiting for mooring pilings once the permit clears, and after talking to the boat yard ordered a new centerboard from NewRudders.com $935 including delivery, am going tomorrow to see if there are any remnants of the external CB cable primarily the fittings if one is left in the pennant tube so I can order a new 19.5" cable that will fit from West Marine Riggers. Purchased 1/2"X2" Stainless bolts and aluminum to extend the chain plates using 6 bolts per chainplate. will need new halyards and running rigging as well, and a new Jib eventually. Boat means Break Out Another Thousand! or a hole in the water you pour money into! But once things are right and with some maintenance it will finally be done. I just want a wonderful boat that looks as if she has aged gracefully, and everything works as it was designed. Each system is fairly simple, you just have to take one small step at a time - it's not rocket science. Will go back to read your site in detail. Hope you post some pictures here, or more on your site. You had an inboard - are those pictures behind the companionway? George
Old 01-18-2012

My wife has her DNS, MSN, RN taught for years, followed me around. I have my RN, MSN, CDE the I retired! Spent 20 years in a career field I only tolerated - but it provided an income. School was intense, thousands of hours studying. I refused the PHD rout believing it really is only Piled Higher Deeper! Seemed the more responsibility the fewer the benefits somehow as the work became greater. Now it is time to find my youthful idealism and interests again which includes sailing, playing some guitar, my Triumph Spitfire, and tinkering on things in my shop. I am really a caregiver now for my wife - advice is to ensure you enjoy life as you go because if you wait it may be too late to do so.
Old 01-18-2012

Visit to the boatyard. Felicity is up on the blocks, hull has been pressure washed and scraped. I did a walk around tapping and looking. Sure enough the centerboard is completely gone - But the bronze plates and screws holding the centerboard pin and the pin are intact and waiting for my new board to arrive, need to order the CB cable also won't be cheap and while i have probably all the information I will need on the internet - you never know if there is something different about the fittings on either end that must fit and accept the correct size clevus pin or all that money will be wasted potentially. Unfortunately the yard had the keel only inches from the ground so I could not see up into the trunk to measure or look at anything on the end of the pennent tube dang it! I may have to take my chances?? The larger issue is a 5" crack inset about 1/8th inch right below the waterline above the area of the sink drain - I was correct the hull was indeed weeping in that area under the sink - it wasn't a leaky toe rail screw after all! I do not believe this is a major problem, I believe some coarse sanding and several layers of fiberglass and cloth probably less than 12" in width should fix this as the crack ends apruptly and is just about 5" long - apparantly the impact was the end of a blunt object - as if someone took a heavy metal mallet and slammed it into that area. Internally as I stated there was only some weeping, the damage is deep but did not appear to be wider than the 5", and could have sunk the boat if it had been much harder. would have need probably some fabric, a piece of plywood and a 2X4 to hold it in place while working the bilge, or perhaps tying fabric over the hole from the outside like in the movie Master and Commander - fothoming or something like that along with working the bilge. Not sure a wood cone would work - would have to be an extremely large cone. Oh well, the good news is the rest of the hull is very sound!!!! Hooray!
Old 01-18-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
George and MorganGirl, thanks for posting your progress. It's useful information for the rest of us, Morgan owners or not. My thinking on "have to take my chances" is .. don't. You have the opportunity to fix things now while she's on the hard -- make sure she's seaworthy. Don't get impatient.
Old 01-19-2012

I am glad if this is helpful. Yeah, will need a look at the cb when it comes, and at the end of the pennant tube to see how big the slot and the hole for the clevis pin are - I was hoping that no one bothered to remove the fitting on the end of the broken cb cable. Right I am spendng enough money to address these issues. I am glad that the hull appears to be basically sound except for that 5" crack!!!! Morgan built a very strong hull. I have enough scotch in my genetics to pinch pennies when I can, but some things are best left to the pros. If my wife were in good health I would load up my equipment and head to the yard for the next week, unfortunately that is not the case. At the relativey young age of 49 Dementia started it's relentless process about 2006 as best I can figure.
Old 01-20-2012

MorganGirl is on a distinguished road
Hi all! I'm happy to be posting, I am so obsessed with this boat project, my head could explode! The few pieces of brightworks are looking amazing. I know it's small steps, but much of the work needs to happen on the boat, and we were hit with snow & rain today, and terribly cold temps all week. That being said, doing any work, even in the cabin, in these temps, is not a good time. There are a few things I have been plotting. George, I noticed your first post included some info on the Water Tank. How did you make out. I would really love to access the tank, but the screws have been practically impossible to remove. Also, I am a novice here... the metal cap?? for lack of a better name, also seems impossible to remove. I am certain this tank hasn't been thoroughly cleaned since... well ever, probably not accessed since installation in 1969. I am just a thorough person, and since I have intentions of inspecting every last inch of that boat, I need to get into the box/housing.. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-20-2012

Hi MorganGirl, seems like the term "sailing season" has true meaning in your clime, I live on Back Bay Biloxi Mississippi so we are simi-tropical. Except for the really really hot months the rest of the year here is spring like, our winter is January and February and is relatively mild, when a front moves through the temperatures can drop for a while then moderate. Snow is a light dusting to about 3" once every 10 years, our lows are the teens on occasion. But I know you would probably die of heat prostration down here! Especially in the 100 degree weather with 90% humidity in our long summer months.
I am waiting for things like the water tank which is a shiny metal box until I have the boat home at my dock. My focus right now is safety, and seaworthiness, the other things will come once those things are squared away. I did find out that the sink drain actually drains through the hull! through a SEACOCK! Pretty cool I thought I can pour things out and they don't end up having to be pumped from the bilge. There is a tube connected to the faucet that runs to the tank. Of course as you read above none of us plan on actually drinking water from the tank, but perhaps it could be made potable for washing dishes, perhaps? Will investigate how to do that later. Looks like a wrench could be used to unscrew the cap. Would have to reach through the stowage locker under the v-berth. There is also a 3" hole I suppose so I can see what I am doing with the wrench. It could be that the tank could possibly be taken out for work when I replace the forward bulkhead where the bow lights are. I suppose If I can get the tank out I can clean it out better. Probably need to add a cap full of plain bleach to a full tank of water perhaps and run water through it every few months?? Sorry I really have nothing to offer but speculation at this point. I really suspect that my boat is in fairly good shape - could be much much worse! You can see felicity on the Morgan Owner's group on Yahoo in the albums. I have more on my facebook site - I will give you that address in a minute and hope we don't scare you when you see what I we look like!!
Old 01-20-2012

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More or perhaps try George'nPatWilkins our Facebook address. Not sure if you have to be frended? If so ask and it will be granted to you. OH!! I forgot, I plan to add a switch in the line so that I can buy the bottled water in those large square containers and see If I could pump water out using my faucet long enough to clean it out, and then would be able to pump drinking water, keep the drinking water under the sink, then switch back when washing dishes?? It's an idea..... If you really want to use the faucet to get drinking water. Otherwise just carry drinking water separately.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 01-20-2012 at 11:45 PM.